Removing oil pan - '92 Ford Ranger

Hello -

I've loosened the oil pan on my four-cylinder Ford Ranger (to replace the gasket), but it's clear that I'll have to either raise the engine or move back the transmission to get it out (it's trapped between the block and the frame).

Anybody know the best way to get it out?

Thanks, Dan.

Reply to
BÿkrDan

It depends what would be easier. I once replaced my engine mounts and dind't have an engine lift so I used my jack and a piece of fence post and jacked up the engine with the floor jack using the fence post between the saddle of the jack and the accessory brackets as a saddle extension. The engine lifted, I swapped out the engine mounts and set it back down.

-bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Thanks Bruce - I guess the motor mount bolts will come off easiest (although neither option looks like much fun)!

Dan.

Reply to
BÿkrDan

Dan, It all depends on what you consider fun. If you don't like working on your car, then be ready to piss and moan. For me, eventhough it's kind of a hassle when something needs your attention right away and you can't take it at your own pace, it's still kind of fun and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is something no one else can give you. No pun intended..

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I know it's not what you want to hear, but the easiest way I've found to get that big cast aluminum pan out is to just pull the engine. It should come out if the transmission and Y pipe is removed but especially if it's a 4 WD it's easier to pull the engine. Bob

Reply to
Bob