Removing silcone ahesive?

Hi all,

I am trying to help remove some aftermarket add on door edge guards on a friends car. It looks like the material is just "U" shaped with (looks like) silicone adhesive in it. Any advice as to removing these and the adhesive would be helpful.

Thank you!!

The edge guards should just pull off. If the adhesive is silicone, there is no solvent. If the adh. is petroleum based, then try lighter fluid. There are better solvents, but they tend to remove paint, also.

Reply to
¶Paul

Approximately 9/26/03 23:00, ¶Paul uttered for posterity:

There are removers for silicone adhesives, a good paint shop can help avoid removing paint with the adhesive... presuming you can't simply peel it off.

For most other adhesives it is hard to beat the orange peel based cleaners such as goo gone.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

dont use lighter fluid can cause damage to your clearcoat as stated goop off is great for this it removes damn near anything and will not harm your paint the body shop my brother runs uses it like a religion great stuff

Reply to
Steve Cook

|Hi all, | |I am trying to help remove some aftermarket add on door edge guards on |a friends car. It looks like the material is just "U" shaped with |(looks like) silicone adhesive in it. Any advice as to removing these |and the adhesive would be helpful.

Permatex #80647 Permatex Silicon Stripper Gel Gasket remover. Easily removes silicone residue, works in 5 minutes.

2-oz tube carded.

I've used this stuff. It works

Also: Permatex #4MA Gasket remover Removes silicone, weatherstrip adhesive, dried oil, grease & paint.

16-oz aerosol.

And: Some basic types of silicon are not fuel-resistant, so gasoline will turn them to gel. If it's clear silicone, you might get lucky. Just be careful.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B