Serpentine Belt Removal on Saturn

Does anyone have any tips on removing a serpentine belt on my 97 Saturn SL2? There's like less than 1 inch working room to get to the tensioner...am I missing something obvious or is it just a pain? Thanks in advance! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

I had a 2000 for a while. On that model you could put a wrench on the pulley bolt and easily move the tensioner assembly to release the belt and put a new one on. No way a socket w/ratchet would have fit, but the wrench had not trouble at all. Your mileage may vary.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

On most vehicles with serpentine belt systems (IMO, of course..) it is usually a good idea to replace the tensioner as well. I am assuming that the belt is being replaced for normal wear with the car having usually 50k+ miles on the current belt. The bearings in the tensioner receive a fair bit of wear and get very warm in regular use and are not designed to last forever. Some OEM parts sources offer belt and tensioner as a kit. Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy