Triumph Spitfire Info.

I'm looking for a Triumph Spitfire for a conversion project (Mechanics Illustrated Centurion)..

This requires a 4 spd w/overdrive (one place it mentions a 5 spd w/overdrive).

I don't know much about the OEM drive train in these cars and in the ads, I seldom see a mention of the Overdrive and all seem to be 4 spd.

Was there a 4 spd and 5 spd syncro trannys with OD??

Is the OD intagral to the tranny or is it something that can be added to a standard tranny?? (The Detroit ones I have had were part of tranny output extension.)

Thanks for any information you might have.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Laycock de Normanville overdrives could be added to a standard gearbox as a kit, which included a different (short) mainshaft. You've gotta rebuild the gearbox to fit the O/D mainshaft, the unit itself replaces the standard extension housing.

They also came in two types, a larger one as found in TR Triumphs and a toy minature version. I don't recall if both were used in Spitfires, or only the toy one. Nor can I recall O/D being an option on the early models (1200) -- 1500 and GT6 almost certainly were. I've got a manual for the 1200 which doesn't mention O/D. All had four speed boxes AFAIK (with or without O/D).

A google search on Laycock / Spitfire / GT6 should yield plenty of info.

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

Reply to