U-Joint Cap

Am I seeing right?

My brother is buying my late uncle's 91 Cadillac Brougham, its RWD. I'm getting it ready for the 800 mile drive from Chicago to northern Minnesota.

Today while I was under the car it looked like something was caught in the rear U - Joint. I pulled on it and a piece of thin metal came off in my hand. Can the caps covering the needle bearings rust away? These are the original u - joints with 63,000 miles.

This car needs Moparts than we originally figured on.....

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 36,687 91 Bonneville LE 306,317
Reply to
Harry Face

Sounds like it needs new u-joints Dave. Fortunately, a quick and easy job.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Maybe you ought to tow it to it's resting place in Minnesota or at least make it a daily driver around town until the bugs come out.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Dummy me........

Turns out the rusty part of the u-joint was the metal tab that is tack welded on the caps to hold them in place during assembly.

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face