valvetrain problem?

today i adjusted all of my valves... last time since i did it was about 5000 miles ago.

i found that 13/16 of the rockers were pretty loose - in the sense that the pushrods were easily turnable in their place.

i don't think this is normal for the preload to come undone after only

5k miles, is it? i remember in my notes that i went around and gave each of them a 1/2 turn preload.

am i doing something wrong, or could there be something else i'm missing? is it just backing off really fast?

i was thinking i could back a second nut on top of the rocker nut to help keep it tightened down...

other than that, there's also this: it also gets noisier whenever i an either decelerating with my foot off the gas, or when i am cruising with no load on the engine (i.e. not trying to accelerate).

opinions?

400 sbc, hydraulic cam.

thanks!

Reply to
Gerard

No, 5000 miles is pretty short run for valves to get out of whack.

Are those studs pressed in? If so, they may be backing out, and the cure would be to pin them or to install threaded ones.

I don't adjust valves by number of turns.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Reply to
Gerard

If you have been adjusting them alot you may need to replace all the nuts. I've had those "lock nuts" back off till their was no valve action left (valve just stayed closed). Even though they might still feel tight enough to still be "locking" their locking may be too weak and they may be backing off under the repetitive loads. If everything is working right they should never need to be adjusted after being set.

Reply to
AZGuy