Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

Good point, most big stores have had a "store brand" for a long time. Sometimes just as good quality as national brands, sometimes not.

I was a little skeptical of even the Firestones I got, since I was getting them put on at a Firestone shop (we have one here that actually seems to be decent). But they seem to be fine so far. We'll see how the hold up after another 20,000 miles.

Reply to
Jc Maxwell

Only tires I've ever had a real issue with have been made by Cooper tire. I've run Hercules which were low profile for the stated size (195-75/14 that looked like a 195-60/14). Remington's which wore out in about 15,000 miles for a tire that was supposed to go 40,000. Had a set of Coopers that had tread de-lamination in under 20K.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've had so many problems with firestones I would never buy them... NEVER. Going all the way back to their original Radial 721's and

500's. Then had them on my 92 Explorer. Had some on a used car, when I got rid of the firestones it was like a whole different car in how it handled. The shop put a set on my work car and they felt like every tire had multiple flat spots. We had some E-load rated ones on a Van and with only 5000 miles on them they started blowing out.
Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

I've bought two sets of Hanouk (might have misspelled it) low budget tires from Discount and both sets were great for the time I've had them. I had/have them on cars that don't get driven much so can't say for the long term but they handle decently and seem to be round and don't make any funny noises. The last set I got for $50 each out the door with various incentives.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

Hankook is a large well-known Korean tire manufacturer that has been making tires since the fifties. Think of them as the Goodyear of Korea.

They make a wide range of tires from cheap stuff to high end stuff, but they are in a totally different league from companies that just rebadge junk and companies that specialize in selling cheapened-down versions of conventional products.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Hankook tires are what I bought about six years ago for my 1983 Dodge van. They seem to be doing real good.

Reply to
JR

There was a man about79 to 82 year's old in a wheelchair that brought a bat tery at Wal-Mart in hugo Oklahoma and none of the codes match and the mange r told this man to call this woman name misti and he did, and these to peop le would disappear from the store at the time he was told to call so he wen t to the other store in Texas and he got the corporate phone number and he called them and to this day he has not heard anything back from them and so him and his wife went back Wal-Mart in hugo Oklahoma and, the manager trie d to tell them two old people they changed the bar code stickers on the bat tery and accused these old people of fraud. But this time he got his money back and he told them people at Wal-Mart th at he not know what kind of scam they are running, and he told them he woul dn't ever be back to shop in there store again..

Now these are not the only people they are doing this to.. Theirs another person that brought that same battery and they are doing the same thing to him and he went to the other Wal-Mart to get the corporate p hone number and he called them and they told this man that they don't belie ve one of their store is doing this to people same as the other man , and n ow this man is out$114.84 for a 5 year battery that he can't use but he ha s stop them from doing this to other people for awhile or at least until Wa l-Mart get another battery to continue their secret scamming on on people . ..

But the worst thing is that, they are getting away with it ..

Reply to
mjmeek21

Okay, I don't understand any of this. What does "none of the codes match?" mean? Is this some guy who bought a battery from Wal-Mart that doesn't fit his car and now can't get a refund?

This is Wal-Mart, it's not a high end battery wholesaler. They don't care about customer service. They sell special batteries that are designed to be as cheap as possible and look like standard commercial batteries but aren't.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what the scam here is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Another interesting thing.

I noticed a while back that a roll of Gorilla Tape was 50 cents cheaper at Home Depot than at Walmart.

But today i was looking for Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid+4.** I found few listings for it, but one was in West Chester Pa., not far from me, for 7 dollars a quart. Walmart had a 3rd party vendor whose location I could not determine for $12.17 a quart. !!

So my point is that like other stores that emphasize price, once they convince people that they are cheaper than other places, they don't have to be cheaper anymore, and sometimes are much more expensive.

Mopar® Part # at Quadratic: 68218057AA at 7.00 Walmart: .68218057AB, at 12.17 so the B must cost $5.17!! Amazon: 5013457AA at 11.64 OEM Part Number 05013457AA Item model number 68218057AA Manufacturer Part # 68218057AA so it's the same thing too.

I wonder what a Chrysler dealer would charge.

Neither Mopar ad at Quatdratic or Walmart says it's synthetic, like Pennzoil and Castrol say on the bottle, though Amazon lets you enlarge the picture of the bottle and see that it does say synthetic.

**Separate question: Is this any better for a Chrysler than Pennzoil or Castrol, the only two brands other than house brands that I can walk in and buy at the 3 stores just down the street from me?

Somehow I have the feeling that Castrol isn't really a top-notch brand, but I can't remember why I think that.

Reply to
micky

Of course they don't say it, but they do things to give that impression.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm reporting; you're confusing.

I appreciate your effort but there is meeting the spec and there is exceeding the spec or excelling in some way not covered by the spec. And the car is nowwhere near clunker or I wouldn't thave asked.

Reply to
micky

Way more then that micky because it's the car company they way more money

Reply to
mjmeek21

LMAO a blank webpage from Walmart saying it can't be found, looks like you failed.

Reply to
7yreclipse

It possible that webpage existed fourteen years ago when the message you are replying to was posted.

Is the google interface so bad that people don't realize they are replying to messages that are decades old?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I saw a reply from a Google groupie to a 22 year old post a few weeks ago. That is the oldest I have seen so far. Still wonder if they are codes for "we attack at dawn" or "the drug shipment is on the way".

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I think it's more likely that stupid people just don't look at the dates. Is it perhaps overkill to assume that the only people who read usenet via googlegroups are stupid? Based on what I've seen, I think not.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I don't know about the stupidity angle. You see that sort of thing on TV and other news websites all the time...showing a story that actually ran last week, last month or last year either with no date on it or it's there but in small, light gray mouse print.

Ya' sorta assume that what you're reading is current...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If you use google groups rather than a REAL newsreader, I might be willing to assume ignorance rather than stupidity, but that kind of depends on the post.

Indeed. It's not like we're hauling old newspapers out of the attic.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Yeah, that's true.

Some of the newsgroups I follow occasionally have forwards/reposts from GG. I've wondered if some of them are posted from Forrest Gump sock puppet accounts!

Reply to
Wade Garrett