What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

Bob F snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:sqr0co$npv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Many years ago when my parents had a light yellow Buick LeSabre I had parked it at the mall. When I returned a few minutes later I got in and couldn't start the car. Then I noticed the interior was right but the articles in it weren't. Then I noticed my car diagonally across from mine. As I got out and locked the car the owner came by. We both had a laugh. At least the ignition key was different. The exterior locks were the same.

Reply to
David LaRue

I have used mine on a neighbours Great Wall diesel a couple of times. Works perfectly and I didn’t need to charge it between uses either.

Bit of a downside with my Hyundai Gets. When the car battery is completely flat, showing 3V in total or something so even the fancy mains powered charger refused to charge the battery, the Gets sounds the alarm when you try to start it with the powerbank and refuses to run the starter. Didn’t bother to try to work out how to get around it, just replaced the battery.

Yeah,, usually the case with mine too.

There is with mine.

In theory I always have a full sized spare but one time managed to have a flat that the servo pump wouldn’t inflate and the spare was the same. By a pure fluke on a wet and windy cold night after all the tire places were shut, a mate of mine showed up at the servo, noted me we a problem at the pump, had a decent compressor at home, just down the road from the servo. He took the spare home, filled it up and brought it back to the servo for me.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have learned that you cannot reasonably deal with Leftists/Communists any more than you can do so with cockroaches. All you can do is eradicate as many as you can.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated --

Covid vaccines: experimental biology --
The fraud of "Climate Change" --
There is no "climate crisis" --
Don't talk to cops! --

Roger Blake

Drivers door takes a double twist to unlock all, including the hatch. Passenger door takes one turn to unlock all in mine.

I hate alarm systems, and I'd disable that if it were mine.

That sounds like a mess! Fortunately, my cars stand out like a sore thumb ;)

Reply to
Michael Trew

I need to figure out of those out if I can't fix the automatic choke on that old Galaxie that I own. You have to keep revving the car for a minute, especially on a cold day, or it just stalls out.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Oy, I've never dealt with vacuum wipers, but they don't sound fun up a hill. Grandma owned one of the last cars with factory vacuum wipers. IIRC, circa 1970 AMC Gremlin.

Reply to
Michael Trew

I've used a bicycle gear shifter mounted just under the dash, stainless cable and lined casing. You need to add a return spring of some type. The old manual kits used a push-pull solid wire in bare steel casing; no spring.

Reply to
AMuzi

Amazon has kits but I don't know how applicable they are. On the carb end you need some sort of bracket to clamp the end of the cable and point the inside wire at a lever on the choke shaft. Then you need some sort of bracket inside the car.

It used to be relatively easy since the automatic choke was just a bimetallic coil spring inside a housing that actuated the shaft.

That has a decent illustration. It also explains the three different types of automatic chokes. I had a divorced choke on something, can't remember what that was finicky.

Reply to
rbowman

Some cars had a dual action fuel pump that was a vacuum assist, but I don't know what brands or years or when everybody went to electric. Vacuum wipers were a step up from hand cranked.

Reply to
rbowman

My 1958 Rambler came with vacuum wipers with a plastic pouch and 'squirtgun' hand pump for the washer.

AMuzi

The story about the guys who claimed a little old lady carjacked them...

We had a 55 Bel Air and a 58 Chevy pickup. Both used the same key.

Reply to
The Real Bev