What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

You seem to be intelligent so you immediately understood what I was saying.

  1. Some stuff is pure snake oil (devoid of any benefits)
  2. Some stuff works ok (but it has negatives they don't tell you about)

My comment about the cats is I've seen what comes out the pipe when engines ingest that stuff and it's not pretty if you wince at the loss of your cats.

Now I'm well aware that everything has pros and cons, just like high zinc engine oil is great for diesels and non-cat vehicles but it's terrible on the cats.

The problem with all these miracle cures in a can that I see is that the can may not even tell you that zinc will ruin your cat - they just tell you how great zinc is in motor oil. You're supposed to _know_ zinc ruins your cats.

It's a question I ask of all miracle cures because I don't know the answer. What does seafoam do to the cats?

Reply to
knuttle

I'm kind of sorry that I did! :)

But I learned something that I was previously ignorant of.

As with original sin, there is no shame in original ignorance. The shame is only in when it can't be cured (because of stupidity).

Reply to
knuttle

Hint: stay out of CA when it snows. For a big truck 'chains required' means a set of triple rails on one drive axle, single rails on the other, and a single on the rear trailer wheel.

Most states leave it to your discretion how much iron you're going to hang but CA being CA...

Reply to
rbowman

I've got beam type torque wrenches from 1/4 to 1/2 but no crowfeet. I understand the concept but never had t apply it.

Reply to
rbowman

To be clear there were two reasons I corrected my use of lug bolt.

One was that the word police have been attacking me for using the correct scientific words for what mRNA is (as you're likely well aware) and even for their lack of understanding of what it means that most people are immune to covid (more than half anyway, whether seropositive or seronegative it seems) and even for my use of the medical therapy terms.

Basically they don't believe in science so what they do is attack science by claiming that the words used aren't words that they would rather you use.

The words they want you to use make things sound different to them.

An example is how these rabid Democrats spit out that 700,000 people died of Covid in the US and yet at the same time they _refute_ that the risk to any one USA individual is only 0.2% (if we know nothing else about them, which is also inherent in the 700,000 number the rabid Democrats just spit out).

Do you see what I see which is that they hate any accurate number that any one individual must assess but they love the same accurate number when it shows (what seems to them to be a bigger) risk to the entire population?

Essentially they only understand scientific facts that make them feel more scared. They seem to intensely dislike scientific facts that don't appear to make the problem far worse than it, scientifically speaking, actually is.

They hated so much that most people are naturally immune to covid that they argued that some people (very few) are apparently seronegative, even as that means nothing in terms of the scientific fact that more than half the human population is already naturally immune to covid (they feel no symptoms).

Of course everyone intelligent (except perhaps for Maria Van Kerkhove of the WHO for some strange reason) knows the scientific fact that even this vast majority of asymptomatic people can still almost as easily transmit covid during the infectious period as a person who can who exhibits symptoms.

But did you see the huge lengths they went to about word semantics to deny that all those scientific facts are, like it or not, scientific facts?

It's that kind of person I was defending against with my clarification of lug as my ignorance can be cured but their stupidity cannot ever be cured.

Reply to
knuttle

My family was friends with the dealer who sold the vehicle where I would order stuff on the phone from him using words like "can you get me the tools that I need to check timing" or "can you get me the tools I need to check cam clearance" and he'd call me back when they came in.

That's how I got that dial gauge in millimeter measurements that is in my toolbox as it came with the fitting on the bottom to fit into the spark plug hole and how I got that cast aluminum c-on-a-handle depression tool that fit like a clove (it has a curved molded-in increasing ramp on the side which allowed you to fit it perfectly as you slipped it in and rotated downward).

Later I called another dealer (and another), and found out that NOBODY will buy the tool for you ahead of time (no money down!) if it's a special order.

They do ship parts from store to store nowadays but usually you can just go to the store that has them in stock if it's close so even that isn't of much use.

The stator that I saw people rewind had shorted out. All it takes is the vibration causing two adjacent coils to chafe. Once you have copper on copper, that stator is toast.

I don't know why automotive stators don't chafe wires as much though. Maybe a stator mounted directly to m/c motor vibration is the problem?

Reply to
knuttle

Offhand I don't know what a crowfoot is unless it's the kind of wrench we have to use to replace oxygen sensors.

As for channel locks, it's my philosophical advice to my grandchildren that if they find themselves using pliers on a nut then they must be in an emergency so dire that they won't live long enough to find the correctly sized open end or box wrench.

The only time I've used them as far as I can easily recall is that I don't have much large than about an inch and a quarter or so Craftsman open end wrenches.

Some day I'd like to buy a set of Craftsman wrenches larger than what I have, but I can't justify the cost when, as noted, channel locks work too.

Reply to
knuttle

It is impolite to speak about people you plonked. Worse, you are spreading mis-information. I am a registered Independent and dislike both parties equally.

You are attributing facts to me that do not exist. You make up stuff to suite your stupid agenda and don't care about facts. Meantime, you go off like a nut case. So be it, sensible people see you for what you are.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's not TDC that's hard to find so much as the spec of whatever millimeters before top dead center that the buzzer across the points has to stop at.

Reply to
knuttle

I'm ignorant of valve seats as I've never rebuilt an engine at that level. Is it a pressed-in seat like the steel cylinders are in an alloy engine?

Reply to
knuttle

A guy in the "geo community" is well known, "Glenn Gibson". He also professionally rebuilt aircraft engines.

I'm not familiar with the 4 cylinder variant, but I've owned at least 10

3 cylinder Geo Metros now, and 4 in my current possession. One travels the country with me. I've been on many a 14 hour road trip in that car.
Reply to
Michael Trew

Such fancy tools... I've done several Geo Metro serpentine and timing belt jobs... just use whatever wooden stick is on hand to tension the serpentine belt via leverage on the alternator... lol.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Same story with most newer vehicles. My point being, that you have to be a tech genius to get around some of the purposeful road blocks that manufacturers install. As you know, my vehicles are basically all older than me, and if I don't do the work myself, I'm paying someone else a lot more to do it.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Fair point, I need to read into it. Me, I like the feel of and control of manual steering, much like I prefer manual brakes. The Galaxie has 4 wheel manual drum brakes from the factory.

I'm in my 20's for reference. I can pull out my grandfather's tool chest and get most of the work on vehicles that I need to get done (plus a set of metric wrenches) until we get past the 2000's. I don't have these specialty tools, etc.

Maybe you're right, I couldn't say. I don't care for the technical "hacking" aspects of it. I'd rather get in and get it done.

Reply to
Michael Trew

My first (and last) Chrysler was a '97 LHS. I wondered why such a clean looking maintained car was only $500 circa 2017. I learned. On top of all of the little electrical issues, the automatic climate control panel would randomly wig out and blast heat in the middle of summer, and could not be turned off. Eventually I learned that repeatedly punching it will eventually shut it off (LOL). I ended up buying a whole climate control panel out of a junk yard car. I consider manual controls and switches a feature ;)

Reply to
Michael Trew

Of course you can return things purchased at HF.

If you get 10 years of service from a tool purchased at HF, you probably got your money's worth. Toss it and start over, IMHO.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Nope, not a single question when I returned the pot-metal wrenches and bought a better set. I don't think they could sell any hand tools without such a warranty.

I think "Pittsburgn" is a HF-only brand. If it's not that it's some other studly-sounding name. I think those wrenches are the only thing I've needed to return.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Heh. The guy up the street collects and repairs Spiders -- He has at least 9 of them, and every once in a while buys or sells one.

Reply to
The Real Bev

The engine and trans worked great for 30 years. The plastic stuff decomposed, the connection to the passenger-side mirror broke pretty damn early and required removal of the AC to fix (according to the lying-bastard dealer), and the throttle system tried to kill me repeatedly. Using it as a trash-hauler is appropriate.

Reply to
The Real Bev

The seats were comfy and the steering was OK, although the thing wallowed. The AC and heater stopped working long ago. The thing that kept the seat from flopping forward in a hard stop may or may not have worked; I was afraid to actually test it, but it definitely didn't work when the car was just moving.

I wonder if I'll live long enough to bitch about my 2013 Corolla. I can complain about the ergonomics (apparently designed by somebody's unemployed brother-in-law who said "Hey, I can do that!") but the works seem bulletproof.

o Steering wheel uses too many turns lock-to-lock.

o Seat doesn't go high enough -- and I'm NOT a midget.

o Doors lock as soon as I get in the car and close the door. Surely this should be a choice rather than a nuisance.

o I can't see any edges, making it difficult for me to tell where the car ends. (In my defense, I used to be able to parallel-park BIG cars easily, and I could even back a trailer as long as I could see it.)

o The "power socket" is right behind the shift lever in park, and there is only one.

o It's a real bitch to clean the inside of the windshield unless you have ape-arms.

o Only being able to put a floor or bottle jack under the [invisible] jacking slots. It used to be nice to just shove the thing under an obvious place. If you actually CAN do it intuitively I'd be really happy, but I've never heard that.

o No flat horizontal place on the dashboard to put a phone, and it's pebbly-surfaced so the semi-sticky things won't stick either. I don't want to have to look down by my right thigh to see the next GPS direction, and using one of those things that attaches to the AC vents seems stupid. Cup-holder things are too short and would get in the way of the shift lever.

o Android GPS voice won't dump into the radio unless the radio is dedicated to the bluetooth connection. Why not listen to the radio until a voice comes from the phone? Not certain what happens with a phone call.

o Extra transponder key cost $150. Local smith gave me a deal -- two plain keys for $150 and he disabled the transponder requirement. I had a use for two plain spare keys and NO use for an extra transponder key. All I REALLY wanted was a goddam spare plain key :-(

40 years ago the Pres of hubby's company bought an Aston Martin, which he could easily afford. He sold it when he found out that ordinary tune-ups cost $1K. No idea what he bought to replace it.
Reply to
The Real Bev