What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

Thank you for providing that article as my ignorance can be cured. Apparently there's nothing called a "lug" after all, at least from reading that one article anyway.

Apparently, for the kind of hub that has the "wheel stud" already there, you put a threaded "lug nut" onto that threaded "wheel stud."

For the kind of hub that has just a threaded hole on the hub, you put a threaded "wheel bolt" (aka "lug bolt") into that threaded hole.

In the article and in the accompanying photo captions they variously called that "wheel bolt" a "lug bolt", but nowhere did they explain what a "lug" is.

I wonder what the threaded hole on the hub is called?

Reply to
knuttle

I still use my feelers at rare intervals. The DR650 is OHC with rocker arms and the V-Strom is OHC with shims under the buckets but both need to be checked. The Harley is a pushrod engine with hydraulic lifters. Best 1955 tech.

Reply to
rbowman

It's somebody's problem. I read 80 and 55 were closed yesterday and I don't know if they're open yet. I've spent some quality time in Reno waiting for the pass to open.

I was always amused by the people who would drive up to Cajon to frolic in the snow. I suppose if you're from SoCal it's something special.

Reply to
rbowman

Took me a while to get used to the FI bike. Turn the key and there is a whir as the fuel pump builds pressure. It's noticeable when you sitting on the tank.

Reply to
rbowman

I've got a slow leak in one of the studs. I took it back to Les Schwab but it still leaks. About the same cycle 35 to 25 in a month. I sprayed it down with soapy water but can't find anything.

Reply to
rbowman

Years ago a guy I worked with bought a Spanish adjustable. He used it a couple of times before it became a speed adjustable with a handy slot in the worm gear.

I've got a HF 18" adjustable that works fine on the Harley's fork tube caps. No torque to speak of, just big, and the adjustable is classier than ChannelLoks. Other than that it would make a good hammer but I already have enough of those.

Reply to
rbowman

Thanks for digging that up where the Dorman things are called threaded wheel lugs, so I guess this is the consensus of the two articles. a. The threaded hole in the hub nobody said what that is called yet b. The threaded stud pressed into the hub is a wheel stud or a wheel lug c. The nuts are lug nuts d. Lastly, the bolt that goes into the threaded hub holes is also a wheel bolt or wheel lug bolt.

Now let's not go all political again. :)

Overall we don't know what the threaded hole is called yet.

But the studs that are press fit into the hub and the bolts that screw into a threaded hole in the hub both seem to be called wheel studs or lug bolts.

Reply to
knuttle

I've used Sears Craftsman tools since forever where I don't remember it exactly that way, but I didn't use the warranty until decades after Sears started to go to hell so I may be wrong in what I remember.

I remember they were all American made (or mostly so) and then they started to go to China and you could tell that the stampings on some of the open end wrenches wasn't so great and the ends (the part that your hands touch) of the handles wasn't done so well on the screwdrivers and cost cutting stuff like that.

I don't remember the warranty changing though, when the quality dropped a bi although I do think I remember that some tools were Sears and others were Craftsman, so the warranty (I think) was different even if the tool was still a basic hand tool.

I also remember that the power tools, even if they were Craftsman, didn't have the same warranty as did the hand tools.

Basically, the way I understood it, they only warranted for life the stuff that never broke unless you abused it, and even then, you can't find a Sears store so what good is a warranty for life that you can't make any use of in later years like now.

Reply to
knuttle

That has been my experience with Craftsman hand tools in that there is no way to break most of them ('cept for those ratchet handles) unless you abuse them.

Even the ratchet handles get pipes on them, which can be considered abuse. I also tend to bang on them sometimes with a mallet (more abuse?).

They didn't warrant, as I recall, the Craftsman branded power tools for example. Just the basic hand tools.

I don't go into harbor freight but what's the warranty on their stuff?

Reply to
knuttle

Rod Speed (which is who you are),

Find us even a single scientific definition of mRNA that does not have "stupid claims" of it being either "genetic material" or related to "genes" (or both) in that definition.

When you give up, then look at yourself in the mirror when it's proven that easily that you are the one making the "stupid claims" that aren't backed up in the science.

Since you're too stupid to even do the search, here, I'll help you:

knuttle

Most people who are rabidly political, like you appear to be, are too stupid to understand what I'm going to say below, which means I'm wasting my time because you likely don't have anywhere near the required intellectual capacity to comprehend what I'm about to explain to you.

You're not only ignorant. You're also stupid.

But let's assume you were simply ignorant. OK. Let's go.

  1. The situation: The rabid Democrats essentially want to take away your right to own a gun while the rabid Republicans essentially want to take away your right to have an abortion.
  2. The history: Essentially, the right to own a gun was enshrined in the Constitution, just as the right to have an abortion was enshrined in the Roe v Wade decision.
  3. The rationale: It's impossible for me to explain to you and other idiots like you the rationale of the founding fathers, but suffice to say it's probably the most discussed topic in American history _why_ the founding fathers put it as the number two amendment (just after free speech) in the Bill of Rights.

We are not going to hash it out here, so we can just point to what the Supreme Court has determined which is that it stands as a right that everyone can own a gun and we leave it at that (since Usenet isn't the place to change what the Supreme Court already decided long ago).

Likewise with what the Supreme Court decided on abortion. They decided it was a situation of medical privacy. Is it? Who cares. It's what the Supreme Court decided and we have to leave it at that since they decided it was her body her choice long ago.

  1. How they play those games: Given we have two rights, one which the rabid Democrats want to take away from us, and one which the rabid Republicans want to take away from us, the question is whether you recognize _how_ they each go about trying to take away our rights?f

Clearly you're too stupid to recognize _how_ they go about trying to take away your rights, but most people of average intelligence and above can easily see that they can't go frontal on them.

  1. Why can't they go frontal? They can't go frontal because that is too strong a "fortress" to defeat directly with a frontal attack. That is, the rabid Democrats can't go frontal against the Bill of Rights and the rabid Republicans can't go frontal against the "right to privacy" any more than the Germans could go frontal against the Maginot Line.
  2. So what do they do then when they can't go frontal? They chip away at the walls.

One by one, they make laws which _all_ reduce your protections under the Bill of Rights and under Roe v Wade. Every one of those laws chips away at the right you have today to own a gun and to have an abortion.

Neither side gives a shit about the Constitution. Neither side gives a shit about the Supreme Court.

The rabid Democrats will chip away at your right to own a gun until that right no longer exist. The rabid Republicans will chip away at your right to have an abortion until that right no longer exists.

Neither side cares _how_ they chip away at your rights. They just chip away any way they can get away with.

Reply to
knuttle

Threaded hole.

US is usually UNF 1/2-20 Other MF12 or MF14

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote

Knuttle has been around for decades. But this John guys is brand new.

You do realize who this "John" is you're speaking with, don't you?

Rod Speed Blocko Michael Trew Jim Joyce Dean Hoffman lkpo John

They're all one and the same. And more.

Reply to
Mayayana

What does all those smoke particles do to the super expensive cats?

Reply to
knuttle

I know what you mean by lucking out with the auto parts store counter folks.

My daughter's best friend's husband took her car on a round of auto parts stores recently because the battery had died and I had lent him my charger to charge the battery overnight and I had suggested he get the free test at the parts stores.

One store told him it was the battery so he left the battery with them for two hours to fast charge, and when he came back they said it was still the battery. I didn't believe it because the battery was only two years old.

I came down to him (he's an hour away) and helped him remove the alternator and we took it to a different store along with the battery. They said the battery was good but that the alternator failed some of the electrical test on their machine (which spins it and measures stuff). Yet I watched them intently and they got _different_ results in each test they ran that I saw.

So we went to another parts store with the battery and alternator and this time they said the alternator was "locking up", in that they claimed it passed all the tests, but that it didn't spin as fast as it should have spun on their belts (which looked pretty loose to me and which were nowhere near the width of the serpentine belt on the pulley). They were thin fan belts.

Anyway, we replaced the alternator and gave the old one back right then and there and we replaced the battery, which broke my cardinal rule of definitively testing the problem instead of throwing parts at it, but we had to put "something" back anyway, and it was raining by then, and we were cold and wet and we just said "f*ck it" and replaced both the battery and alternator.

I kept the battery (and paid them the core charge) but we gave back the working alternator. So far all is well, but it was a bitch getting the serpentine belt back on the alternator without all the right tools as I was at his house, not mine. Serves me right for breaking my rule on not working on someone else's car if they don't have any tools.

It just goes to show that it's hit or miss at the auto parts stores, and that sometimes a car just needs to be fixed by throwing parts at it, not because that's the right way, but it's the quickest and simplest way.

Reply to
knuttle

Last time I needed a feeler gauge was using that nice c-shaped tool on a handle to depress the shims under the cam shaft enough to remove the old shim and replace the old shim with a thicker new shim.

You've probably done that yourself.

How many other things nowadays need feeler gauges for normal automotive repair (not including rebuilding an engine which is a different thing).

Reply to
knuttle

The problem is with the word THERAPY, not genetic.

Reply to
John

For diagnostic debug, I still have a little light in my tuneup toolkit that plugs into the fuel injectors of my first FI vehicle, a Nissan 300Z, and which literally blinks when it receives the pulse telling the fuel injector to inject.

It took my feeble little brain a few re-reads of the manual to realize that they don't normally inject fuel into the cylinders but into the manifold.

I'm sure some vehicles actually inject fuel into the cylinders, but not many right?

Also in that tuneup kit is a dial gauge with a pin sticking out which screws onto the spark plug hole so that you can turn the crankshaft to the precise number of millimeters before top dead center on the upstroke to set the timing for when the points buzzer should stop buzzing incessantly.

Again, my feeble little brain had to figure out the upstroke versus the downstroke by the pressure pulse coming out of the spark plug opening before I screwed in the dial gauge.

Reply to
knuttle

Rod Speed,

Why do you always play your silly games with word semantics such that you create your own personal definition of what "therapy" means but only to you?

Now that you can't deny that mRNA is genetic material, you are playing you silly little games about what the treatment of the disease should be called.

Since you're too stupid to even look up usage examples, I'll do it for you.

in use: "a course of antibiotic therapy"

Reply to
knuttle

I meant the compression upstroke versus the exhaust upstroke.

Reply to
knuttle