What percentage of flat tires can be saved?

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:19:32 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Absolutely. I drilled holes in a cement walkway out back. The original plan was to use bolts so that I could remove it at will. I never removed it and the red has weathered to a nice rosebush pink.

The Egyptians built the pyramids with a plumb bob I'm told. And maybe even bubble levels for all I know.

HF sells a lovely aluminum and steel tire sized bubble level. HF sells only the stick on weights though. So you have to buy clamp on weights online.

Never. Balance isn't a problem because you can cut the weights to size.

You lay them on the rim while you're balancing and move them around like checkers until you get just the right amount of weight in the right spots.

That's the sixty-four dollar question. Every brand can be different.

Here is the instruction for mounting for my Yokohama tires.

But most brands follow the same pattern but you should check to make sure. Note there are match mounting marks on a new rim but usually they're gone.

I never did it in a rush. I bring a coffee if it's in the morning. And a beer if it's later in the afternoon. I take my sweet time doing it.

However, if you were in a race, it shouldn't take you appreciably longer or shorter than it takes a tire shop to do it since you do the same steps.

You chock & lift the vehicle and place safety jack stands where needed. Remove the wheel & tire assembly & remove the schrader valve inside pin. Lubricate heavily with a spray bottle with a dab of dish soap in it. Break the 1st bead and then flip the tire & break the 2nd bead. Put the tire on the tire mounting stand & remove the 3rd (top) bead. Lift the tire into the drop center & remove the 4th (bottom) bead. Lift the tire off the stand and remove the tire valve from the rim. Inspect the rim and clean it up if needed & look for match mount marks. Usually they're long gone so just mount the red/yellow dots to the stem. Pop a new stem in (the better ones are all metal and as long as you like). Remove the schrader valve from the new valve stem. Throw the new tire onto the rim & lubricate lightly with a spray bottle. Set the 5th (bottom) bead by running the tire iron in a 360 degree circle. Set the 6th (top) bead the same way - but you might need extra tire irons. Attach a wide-open air gun rubberbanded open to the valve stem threads. Lift the lower bead into the drop center & lift the top bead to the rim. Fill with air until it pops. If necessary, grab the bazooka (1 out of 10). Once it pops into place, replace the valve stem schrader valve inside pin. Fill to 60 psi and spray soapy water checking the uniformity of the set. Drop it back to 30 psi (or whatever you want) and remove wheel from stand. Check that the static tire balancer bubble dot is in the center circle. Put the tire & wheel assembly gently on the static tire balancer. Place weights along the rim as needed & when satisfied, glue or crimp on. Flip the wheel and do the other side but usually it's already balanced. Place the wheel & tire on the vehicle & torque to the manufacturer specs. Take it for a test drive. You're not going to get vibration.

If you get vibration (you won't), then take it to Costco who will charge five dollars to balance any wheel/tire even one that they didn't do.

Not counting the test drive, it will take you as long as you want it to. The only hard beads are the 1st bead and the 6th bead. The rest are easy.

Maybe a half hour if that's all you do but normally I take my time while I have the wheels off. Normally I rotate them. And I check the brakes.

It's pretty safe that if that's all you did, and hour would be plenty. That's not counting the shower you'll want to take after blowing all the brake dust out and washing your clothes and putting all the tools away.

Anybody, even the first time they do it, can do it in an hour, although you'll find in the beginning you need to make some special tools that make your life easier (like a way to blow air into the tire to set the bead).

You need to know basic anatomy like where is the drop center for your rim.

And you'll find a few specialized cheap hand tools make the job easier. After a while, you put a kit together with all the necessary tools in it.

Reply to
Michael

On Apr 30, 2023, Bob F wrote (in article<news:u2mqca$3q7ib$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me):

+1

If you count the total time and cost, having someone else do your oil change will never be better than just doing your own oil changes at home.

Better oil. Quicker change. Better filter. Better gaskets (if any). Better overall in every way.

If someone has an excuse not to change their own oil, it's just an excuse.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy

Why is the oil and filter better if it is the same brand? What exactly, is the difference between the dealer Mobile 1 and my Mobile 1?

As for quicker, depends. I pass a reputable shop a few times a week and they are faster than I am. If I drove over just for that reason yes.

Please explain your illusion.

As for excuses, at my age I no longer crawl under cars.

Reply to
Ed P

On Apr 30, 2023, Ed P wrote (in article<news:xFG3M.1671473$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.iad):

If you don't know that you'll be putting in better oil at a lower price than the shop can do it at, then nothing anyone says will enter your mind.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy

OK, so you did/can not back up what you said. Sure the price is better but that does not make the oil better. It does no make the filter better. Said Ron, the FOS guy in twon

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1 on that. My F150's spare is in sort of a cradle under the bed. I'm no 90 pound weakling but it's a royal pain in the ass to get it out and even worse to get back in.
Reply to
rbowman

iirc, that's about what I paid at Tire-Rama -- mounted.

Reply to
rbowman

That's the nice thing about putting knobbies on my DR650. How would you know if it was balanced or not?

Reply to
rbowman

And don't forget to add the $90 bazooka to your home tire changing station. It's that 1 in 10 where you need a sledge hammer to break the bead and a bazooka to seat it that turns it into a 5 hour pain in the ass.

Reply to
rbowman

Be sort of amusing if it wasn't. Of course that assumes you have a floor to bolt it to, or space in the garage.

Reply to
rbowman

The 12g version won't fully inflate a mountain bike tire. otoh, 12g Daisy cartridges are a lot easier to find and cheaper than the 16g version.

Reply to
rbowman

I cannot find 12g "threaded" CO2 cartridge on Amazon.

Thread at the tip of the cartridge is the easiest way to attach a cartridge onto a device. That's what makes the CO2 tire inflators so compact. The inflator attachment is smaller than the CO2 cartridge.

This is similar to what I have. Look at the photos and video. It is really compact.

invalid unparseable

Neither is a Sienna. Mine's a Highlander; his is an FJ Cruiser.

I just looked at a picture of the 2023 Sienna. Gosh, minivans have gotten really muscular in their styling.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Weight. The need to keep the wait down to keep the mpg up.

It's not that he didnt' know. It's that there was a lot of rust.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

We don't need an excuse. We just don't want to.

My mechanic does other things besides an oil change while he has it.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

If you have to tell people you're humble, you're not. Unless you're being ironic.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

If a below average male swimmer can claim he's a female so he can win more events, I suppose anyone can claim they are humble.

Reply to
Su Nombre

Last change I did was my '91 Buick Regal. It was a real PITA to get to the filter. Not so bad on a real lift, but ramps or jacks, not fun. Did it twice, never again.

I also get the same exact oil that Ron gets. no better, no worse.

Reply to
Ed P

On Apr 30, 2023, Bob F wrote (in article<news:u2nhb7$177f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me):

I am about the same age and I also find it "less fun" to be lying on the ground removing an oil filter bolt, but I still do it because of two great values, the first being you get better quality oil at a lower price, and the second being the satisfaction that you know the job is done right.

There are other benefits such as the time savings (an oil change is just about the quickest job that can be done on a car - even vacuuming it takes longer) and convenience of doing it when you want it done, but the main reason is better oil at a better price & the satisfaction of doing it.

If someone doesn't want to do it, they will always make up a million excuses for why they don't want to do it - which is what they do.

I almost never use the ramps because jacking up one end is almost as quick. I have four sturdy jack stands, where I always use at least two + the jack.

What I do now that I didn't do when I was younger is I wear kneepads and elbow pads, and I spread an old blanket on the ground when I'm working on the brakes or the engine unless it's drippy - and then I don't use the blankets.

You're right about that. I don't know how anyone who lives in a flat could fix anything. Just the tools alone would fill up the closets.

You almost have to own/rent a real home to work on a car.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy

On May 01, 2023, Cindy Hamilton wrote (in article<news:RRK3M.497515$ snipped-for-privacy@fx37.iad):

That is the point.

It's always the case when someone says they can't do something that everyone clearly can easily do, it's just that they don't like it.

They should just be true to themselves instead of lying to themselves. Nobody has to like working on a car. That's why they invented mechanics.

What they do, instead of saying they don't feel like doing the job, is they find all sorts of lame excuses for why they "can't" do the job.

That's what's wrong. The lame excuses.

The only justification they need is they don't want to do the job.

Unless all the shop does is oil changes, they're trained to drum up business, so I'm sure he'll tell you everything wrong that he sees.

And, perchance, he might even be right as he likely has more training than the rest of us do (not that an oil change requires all that much knowledge) but changing tires does require more knowledge, as does alignment at home.

There is almost nothing you can't do at home on your car but there are an almost infinite number of things you don't want to do at home on your car.

I have found that most people come up with a lame excuse like kids do when they didn't do their homework, when the only rationale they need is that they don't want to work on their car at home. Why lie when that's why?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy