Wiring driving lights to come on with highbeams

This is right for most cases but your notion of ground switched lighting is wrong. What we are talking about is this

Standard Way: B+ ----- HDLP Switch ---- Dimmer Switch ----- High beams --- GND |------- Low beams --- GND

Ground Switched

B+ ----- High Beams ---- Dimmer Switch --- HDLP Switch --- GND ----- Low Beams -----|

Note that in standard way B+ has to enter passenger compartment, go through switches, then back out to headlamps. In ground switched way, b+ goes through lights, into passenger compartment, through switches, and into ground. No looping.

Also note that the current through the switches in ground-switched setup is always limited by what passes through the bulbs, even if there is a short to ground somewhere. Unfortunately this means a short to ground wont blow a fuse but instead make the lights permanently on.

There are tradeoffs and both systems are in use today but most still use the Standard way. (Well except high end cars which tend to have low current headlamp switch and control the lights through relays and/or FETs... Lots of your cars with daytime running lamps will do that, as well as cars with autolamps)

Reply to
dnoyeB

Don't fool yourself, there's NO inherent advantage either way. Since most cars have the main power distribution, fusing, and relay center inside the passenger compartment anyway, the switch might as well be inside.

Reply to
Steve

eh, most newish cars that I've seen (including my '88 Porsche, which isn't exactly "new") have all that stuff under the hood somewhere near the battery.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The newish cars I've seen have a few heavy circuits under the hood (radiator fans, auto-shutdown relay, sometimes the headlamps, etc.), but most of the power distribution is from a fuse block inside the car.

Either way, the amount of wiring required is very nearly the same, and with DC currents "ground loops" are a non-issue.

Reply to
Steve