86 celica motor noises

Hey all, My 86 celica (2se motor) seems to be noisy from the top of the motor.It is not a tapping sound but rather like the bearings at the cam shaft are not being lubricated well enough.I just changed the oil and added lucas oil treatment and the gauge reads ok.I have used mystery oil in the past for tappets and am thinking of trying that for this issue.Any suggestions?

Reply to
jpm7481

Noises are difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand (I wish i has a dollar for every time I've posted this!), and to be honest, I am not sure I know what 'bearings at the cam shaft that are not being lubricated well enough" sound like.

In the future, instead of using oil additives, use a good quality motor oil. The additives can interfere with the oil's chemistry and quiet things down without curing the root problem.

I recommend that you have a competent technician listen to the motor. It could be something as simple as a timing belt that needs replacement.

Reply to
Ray O

Gee, I was thinking about buying one of these, and I took it to a mechanic friend to have a quick look at. It was making a similar noise (as best as I can tell from your description, anyway...) and he said, This one's about done.

I sold the car (I was working for the dealer) and the guy who bought it drove it for about 3 months and then one day when he was beating it pretty hard, the motor blew.

I would take it to someone you trust and have them take a look. I don't know what broke in the motor, but it was the end of the car. Too bad, it was in real good shape otherwise.

Reply to
Hachiroku