200 Toyota Echo, 80K? A safe buy?

Hi all,

I am new to this group. Nice to meet everyone :)

I am interested in purchasing a 200 Toyota Echo. The one I am looking at has 80,000 Kilometers (canada) on it. I did some research and most of the Echo's that are for sale in this year have about the same number of kilometers on them. Why is this I wonder? Do these cars start giving trouble at around the 80K mark? Is it a safe buy. I plan to drive from Ottawa to Toronto a lot and I want it to be good for at least another 100 kilometers.

Cheers, Derek

Reply to
MegaC

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the U.S., the average driver puts 12,000 to 15,000 miles (20,00 to 24,000 Km) per year on a car. So, 20,00 Km x 4 years old = 80,000 Km average.

Echos have been pretty reliable, complaints and problems are pretty rare in this group, and it should be reliable for anywhere from 100 to 100,000 more kilometers.

Reply to
Ray O

*snip*

Wow, I didn't know they were making Echoes back in the year 200...

Seriously, though - I wouldn't buy a car with 80k, but then I'm a coward

;-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That's about the average in Canada too. :-)

With regular maintenance, I'm sure it could go 300,000km, possibly more.

Reply to
S.S.

Hey, Nat, 80K KILOmetres. This means...

80,000x.62I,600 miles. Sounds good to me, even for a 200!!!
Reply to
hachiroku

Oh - I brain farted that one

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®
49K miles is nothing.... I have a 2000 Sienna with 140K miles on it and it runs like brand new. When researching cars before buying it new, I read that most Toyota engines don't even wear-in until around that mileage. Timing chains that were changed at over 100K miles still looked new (sorry I'm not converting).

I would think instead of milage, look at the condition... does it burn oil? Any stains on the carpeting from the heater core? Any antifreeze around the radiator? Any rattles from the front end when going over bumps?

It's always best to bring it to a local shop and have it put on the lift and checked out. But generally I agree, Toyotas are great cars.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Derkowski
Reply to
Charles Pisano

With immature remarks like this, it's no wonder WebTV'ers get shit on often!

Reply to
S.S.

Satan wipes his ass, and there's Pisano. As with a certain other poster to this NG, he continues to be my bitch. They can't just ignore me, which in a way is both sad and flattering.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You mispelled "smart buyer. "

Unless you're ready to wrench on it, buying a car w/80k miles is like playing russian roulette... You're literally betting the money you paid for the vehicle on whether or not the previous owner(s) have properly maintained the vehicle, have treated it right (I.E. didn't play dragster with it, ) amongst other minor issues.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

It's so cute when a WebtVer shows their ass.

Might wanna try to crawl out of your 'rents basement long enough to find out what century this is.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

My experiences with buying used - oh sorry, "pre-owned" cars isn't something I'd want to happen to friends. There's always that chance that something is very wrong with it, yet you don't have a good enough warranty.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

And he totally doesn't get that a woman can be friends with men and still remain feminine. He's showing not only his ass, but his rather significant ignorance of women. I'd like to say I'm surprised by that, but I can't. He's textbook.

I love watching Louis the great trounce yet another troll. Harassing me is probably the only interaction this tosser gets with any females, but it never ceases to amaze me of how tenaciously troll-like some freaks can be, for no good reason other than to start some shit. He knows I have him killfiled, yet he takes shots anyway. It says way more about his inadequacies than anyone else's. *sigh* I guess if you have nothing better to do than attack a stranger on the internet, then that's the sum of your life. Pathetic, isn't it?

"Barefoot and pregnant." He must be a chick magnet.

Natalie, wiping the excess sarcasm off the keyboard

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

We have a Honda they are going to wholesale, a Civic 1.6 coupe with a

5-spped. I made an offer, but the new owners won't wholesale to an employee...not like the old owners. One guy bought a '95 truck with a rotted bed for $250.

But I didn't see anything worng with the car other than the finish. The old owners parked under a tree, and then tried to remove the sap with ScotchBrite pads! DUH!!!! (um, I can buff that out...they don't want to spend the money...)

Nuts..I miss all the good stuff...

Reply to
hachiroku

Amazing how long she's gone without mentioning she's black (yawn) again .. a new record ...

I guess the crack comment kinda counts though.

If my bitch was online with a buncha dudes all the time I'd have to put the fear of God in her.

I'm in sales, not only can't women be friends with men, they can't just be clients of 'em either. But their husband or BF's aren't around so it doesn't really count does it???

Reply to
Charles Pisano

You crack me up, Hachi.

I guess it just comes down to whether the product, car or other object, is for sale at a price we want to pay. The old 'one man's junk is another man's treasure' scenario.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Is that like going after someone who has been divorced?

Reply to
Ray O

Run...don't think about it, just run *now*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Hey,