2003 Corolla--poor bass from speakers?

Has anyone noticed poor bass from their speakers in the 2003 or later Corolla? The highs and midranges sound good for a stock sound system, but
lately I've noticed the bass tones have been sounding pretty muddy, even at pretty low volumes (I've never gone higher than about 1/3 max volume, so I strongly doubt they're blown.)
All Toyota (even the JBL premium system) have marginal speakers. Pull one and compare it to Sony/Kenwood/Pioneer or other $60 pair of speakers. You'll see significant differences (like paper vs foam rubber edges, small magnets, single cone). I'd replace them - chck Crutchfield for what fits. Don't go with high end - your OEM head unit does not have power to drive them.

Wolfgang wrote:

==== Hmm, maybe that's why I've been disappointed with the sound coming from the Camry's radio/CD. But those are my only 2 complaints with the '06 Camry: the poor sound and the fuzzy seats that always shed.
The Pasat is a really nice car that probably doesn't have those 2 specific problems, but reliability is my first concern. And Toyota is number one there.
Still, I hope Toyota improves the sound in the future. How's the sound in the '07 Camry?
Wolfgang wrote:

when i had a blaupunkt (colorado, CM168)in my civic, it sounded better when i got rid of the high powered speakers and "traded down" for 2 pr of the "brown box" blaupunkts.
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:46:16 +0000, mike wrote:

Speakers are weird. You never know what will sound good.
In '85 I bought my wife a brand-new Jetta. It had a Blaupunkt radio and Blaupunkt speakers, but they were a whopping 3"!
After sopping and shopping and shopping, looking a Clarions, and JVCs, and NECs and..and..and..I bought a pair of CRAIGs! because they sounded the best. I put the Infinity 3.5" in the front, and carved holes in the rear deck for the Craig 5.25s (what a chore that was. At least VW makes cars out of SOLID METAL!) and the quality of the sound improved drastically.
Craigs?!?!?!

That's because the speakers you removed were not efficient enough for the low amount of power being fed to them.
you do have the fader set to zero so the front and rear speakers are working? just a thought... sammmm
--

"That Guy" < snipped-for-privacy@f.com> wrote in message
news:yrGdnQzORvpJ2MPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Good point. I have the fader adjusted so the rear speakers are putting out slightly more than the front. I adjust it until the front and rear sounds equally loud, then nudge it a little toward the back.
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:12:22 -0600, That Guy wrote:

Hey! That's what I do to!
Most cars these days are set up so most of the sound comes from the front. I guess that's the way the 'kids' like it. I even had a pro tell me that that is the proper way to set up a system ("You want most of the sound coming from the front.")
But I like it balanced. Between the HU and the external amp I have, the system in my Supra is tweaked so well that sometimes it sounds like 4-channel!

There's no such thing as "proper" to begin with. Go to concerts in 20 different places, and each one will have its own ambience. But, you don't often find concert sound systems set up with speakers behind the audience, pointed upward, or toward the stage. If you hear sound from behind you, it's sound reflected from walls.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:28:21 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Oh, God! I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd live at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in Atlanta GA back in the day. We could only get tickets for the first night, a Wednesday. (This was where the Live album was recorded. I don't think they recorded any of it *THAT* night...I think the whole first show was a 4 hour Sound Check...)
Yeah, you had sound coming from behind you, all right. They had everything cranked SO loud the Standing Waves were crashing into each other in the middle of the theatre...right where I was seated.
Shoot, Ronnie VZ could have at least thrown the 3/4 quart of Jack out far enough so *I* could have had some!!!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Not likely, "kids" have the biggest raft of speakers they can in the boot/shelf and a set of 6"s in the front normally, and fade most of the "music" out so only the bass comes through.
I hate music from the front, its invariably tinny and LOUD in your face - i prefer the above method - set it even then knock it backward a bit. My current headunit adjusts for roadnoise too which can get very loud if you have the front turned up - seems accurate running more power to the back.