85 corolla problem

Hi guys, gota a strange problem, when i start my car it runs very rough and the whole car shakes around it neutral, after a minute driving this stops but every few seconds the car will jump baddly, like the engine stops starts. After 5 minutes of this all is good and the car runs fine.

any idea?

Reply to
Dean771

The choke is not setting.

Reply to
Ray O

I also have an 85 Corolla. Here are a few things to check:

Does it happen more when it's raining or damp?

In order of cost:

- Change the plugs. Mine eats plugs every 10-15K, even though they look fine

- Change the rotor and distributor cap

- Change the plug wires

Does it happen only when the car is cold, not every time you start it?

- Make sure to depress the gas pedal once to the floor before starting to set the choke

- Check that the choke butterfly closes all the way. If not, clean everything in and around the carb with carb cleaner and then lub everything. I use WD40, which everyone says doesn't work, but it does for me.

Third possibility is a vacuum leak, which is hard to find.

Reply to
kgold