Prius remote lock/unlock

My remote detached itself from the key ring. Over time the metal key ring caused the little hole to get larger until the plastic was so thin the plastic cracked. What now?

Reply to
mark digital©

Time to buy a new car.......

Reply to
Scott in Florida

obviously you don't have a UK Classic Prius, since the remote lock/ unlock buttons are in the metal key's head...

If a Classic US Prius, the metal key and the remote keyfob are already separate, just attached by a keyring or two. Carry them separately, or make a new connection to your keyring using some clever taping technique. (or, don't carry the remote keyfob, and do all of your locking/unlocking and car starting with just the metal key.)

(Not that I suggest carrying any keys on the same keyring as for your car's ignition key... the weight of all those keys dangling can wear down the ignition switch and also your ignition key. If someone steals your car w/key, at least they won't have your house/work/etc. keys also...)

If a 2004 or newer Prius, the metal key is only used in the off chance that the battery in your keyfob or in your Prius (the 12v one) is dead, to open the driver's door. Put the metal key in your wallet for safekeeping, and just carry the keyfob loose in your pocket.

Reply to
mrv

I seem to recall reading that Toyota has made just the outer case available for the remote key fobs for certain models. Check with the dealer to see if your car is one of them.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. Will do. BTW, the little Flotec pump is working fine but it didn't pump immediately when I replaced the impeller. I wasn't sure why. After many trials and errors I discovered the end plate that covers the impeller was a little bit warped. The cover is only held in place by two screws opposite each other. I flipped the plate over and attached it with the two screws being careful not to over torque them. It self primed immediately! mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

[...]

------------------ I have a 2003. The FOB swings back and forth on the metal ring in normal use. This caused the hole in it's case to enlarge and therefore thin out the plastic and then crack.

I can't keep the ignition key and the FOB separated off of a common key chain. I'll tell you why. I can't keep track of my DjEEP lighters. So, I can't afford to assume I would do better with the remote loose in my pocket. mark_

-------

Reply to
mark digital©

Thanks for the update on the pump!