93 Corolla better jack and lug wrench?

Is there a better jack and lug wrench combo for my 93 Corolla DX wagon automatic with 1.8L, that won't break my budget or my back?

Something that would fit in the same tire well, but be easier for me to use?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Hmmm...I always liked the jacks and lug wrenches that come with Toyotas.

What you might try is to find a jack from a Supra. They had an easier to use handle than what came with Corollas. Or, get a jack from a truck. It was a bottle jack with a long handle (to get the spare tire out)

As far as the lug wrench, get a 21mm socket and a 'breaker bar', 1/2" drive. there is more leverage with one of these as they are longer than the lug wrench. What I did was I had a floor jack that the handle fit onto the lug wrench and extended it to about 2 feet, which was plenty of leverage.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Have you tried wearing gloves to let the handle slip more easily through your hands as it rotates?

If your jack is like mine, it's operated by a pinned rod turning a u- shaped thing with a slot on one side and an oblong hole on the other side. You may be able to add a standard ratchet extension to that rod, or you may be able to find a long jack handle that fits the u- shaped thing.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Get a socket and breaker bar as Hachiroku suggested, but I'll add that you should get a 6 point deep socket, not a 12 point socket, which can round the corners on the lug nuts.

As for a jack, check out Sears or Wal-Mart for an inexpensive jack with an aluminum frame. Some come in a carrying case and are fairly light. I recommend that you go to a store and try lifting the jack instead of buying it online. A bottle jack is light and relatively easy to use, but their small footprint means that they are not quite as stable as a floor jack. If you get a bottle jack, put a 2' by 2' piece of 3/4" plywood to place under the jack when lifting the car.

Reply to
Ray O