94 tercel check engine light code retrieval

Hi all, Check engine light has been on, autozone cannot check it with their diagnostics because the vehicle is older than 96. Toyota dealer will do it for 37.00 but also mentioned I could do it myself by connecting wires and seeing how many times the check engine light blinks? Can anyone walk me through this process? 37 bucks is 37 bucks. TIA Matt

Reply to
Matt

Yeah, find the diagnostic connector under the hood and open it. Should be TE1 and E2. Jump the terms with a paper clip or bit of wire, turn the ignition on, and the light should try to tell you something. Let us know what you get.

Reply to
qslim

Actually, $37 is nothing! The dealer I worked for charged $99!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Can you be any more specific as to where that might be? Is it near the fuse box? Thanks Matt

Reply to
Matt

It may be near the battery. It has a curved cover over it that says DIAGNOSTIC. There will be a diagram inside showing where the connections are. On a '95, it was between the fuse block under the hood and the firewall.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope, I can't. It'll be under the hood somewhere, about 1" by 3", and it says 'diagnostic'. Open the cover, and there will be a little diagram showing the terminal layout.

Reply to
qslim

Great. I will poke around. Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Matt

I found it. However there are many little places to put a paper clip or wire. The terminal layout is there, but I don't know what to do from there. Thanks

Reply to
Matt