Any trick to replacing Yaris door mirror glass?

I'm trying to replace the door mirror glass on my Yaris. I have the new glass, mounted to a black plastic backing plate, and I see how it clips on to the movable black plastic mounting platform of the mirror. What I don't see is how to clip the two together. There's a couple of teeth at the top that need to mesh, and then some snap clips below. There's not enough room at the top to engage the teeth while the movable plate is inside the frame.

This makes me think the movable plate needs to come off before mounting, but how do I do that? It doesn't appear to unclip. Anybody know?

Reply to
simon.poulton