rear bench seat subs in Tacoma x-cab?

I've been thinking about putting a sub in my Tacoma for a while. There are very few, if any solutions that appeal to me. I don't really want something floating around back there, whether it's strapped in or not. Although, I have thought about the Infinity BassLink ...

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to simply remove that pathetic bench that the jump seats rest on and replace it with a custom box that accomplishes the following:

1) 1 10" kicker solo baric 2) amp for the sub 3) storage for the jack 4) was a bit taller and retained use of the jump seats

I've scoured the net for a custom install like this, but no one seems to have done it.

I can't imagine that the shelf/bench has any structural integrity at all. I.e. taking it out won't affect the rigidity of the cab. I don't know this for sure. Does anyone else?

I rarely ever have passengers in the back, but I do haul a lot of dirt bike and camping gear from time to time. So I want to retain as much space as possible. It would also be nice to keep it looking as stock as possible as well. I do realize that something like this would probably not be cheap ...

Reply to
Steve

Just to let you know, I have the Infinity Basslink hooked up to an Alpine head unit and Infinity Kappa separates in the doors of '97 Tacoma Xtra Cab and I love it! I have to get a strap and secure the Basslink to the fold-up tray table behind the passenger seat, but for now it is wedged against the rear shelf and the front passenger seat and it performs great. for the price of the Basslinks right now, you should definitely consider it as an option before cutting into the rear shelf of the Xtra cab.

chungfong

Reply to
Chung Fong

I have a 1995 non-Tacoma extra cab Toy and i am in the middle of doing excatly what you are considering except i am using the existing enclosure and sealing it up to the correct volume. I am mounting a 8" JLAudio Sub powered by an Alpine sub amp. The enclosure needs some stiffening and dampening which i am doing via Dynamat extreme, Spray on vibration absorber and synthtic cotton to fill the space. It is working great so far. The sub was mounted from underneath in order to not have the driver protrude to the surface. I covered the surface with a generic 8" flat metal grill. This allows me to flip the seat up when i'm listening in the car and flip it down to then show NO sign of a nice system!

Sam

Reply to
Sam Marsh

Chung,

Thanks for the feedback. The BassLink would certainly be an easier solution. It's good to hear that it works well. I'm not looking for big booming bass that everyone outside my truck can hear, just something that sounds good to me.

On your Infinity Kappa separates - did those bolt right in? or did you have to do a lot of modification to the doors for them to fit?

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

Actually, I had them installed by Circuit City for something like $30. The 6.5" woofers did mount into the doors in the existing factory location without any problem. The tweeters were mounted to the plate inside the side mirror housing, but could have been mounted anywhere.

The Basslink doesn't boom and cause notice outside of the truck. It gives a lot of solid bass that fills the cab and reinforces the sound of the separates in the doors. I had an 8" powered Bazooka EL Bass Tube, but that was too boomy and didn't produce enough amplification to match the 100 MTX amp I have driving my front speakers. The Basslink with 200 watts definitely is suited well for my Tacoma as I have a lot of useable space in the Xtra cab and my kids can even still sit in the back :)

chungfong

Reply to
Chung Fong