bought new camry - licence plates

I'm just curious about how your registration systems all seem to be so complicated. Is this a correct assumption or am I over simplifying?

Where I live in Queensland, Australia our system works like the following. you need a recipt to prove you bought the car, this can be hand written or a dealer recipt, and a Roadworthy cirtificate to prove it is safe to drive. Vanity plates stay with a person, or can be sold. non vanity plates stay with the car. You then register the car or transfer the registration both of which need to be done at your department of transport office or if your town does not have one the local police station. Someone looks over the car to check it for details such as vin and engine number, and then looks at the Roadworthy and comfirmes the details and that it hasn't expired. If it is currently registered and they are happy you can drive away and you get a form later to say you are the new registered owner. if you are a new owner or you need new plates as it had vanity plates they will give you a tempory sticker to put on the car untill your new plates and sticker arrive by mail.

One a year you pay a registaion fee, which includes compulsary insurance to cover damage your car does to 3rd persons or property, and then they send you a new sticker for you car to prove that it is registered. From that piont as long as you are the owner of the car and keep paying the registration fee, you never have to prove the car is roadworthy, but you must maintain it that way. If you get pulled over by the police they can check if the car is registered by calling it in or checking they sticker, and if they feel it is nessary they can "Defect" the car. Which means you cant move it except under police supervision or on a flat bed tow truck as they think it unroadworthy and therefore unregistered and it is illigal to have an unregistered vechile on public property. You then need to get a roadwotrhy done to prove that it is Ok to use.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

One of the major issues here in the United States is, you have 50 states and

50 different department of motor vehicles, or something similar. Each state will have different prerequisites on what needs to be done to register your vehicle and obtain plates. Some states may require safety inspections and/or emissions tests. The details of these tests will vary depending on the state which performs it. The type of insurance coverage will also vary by state. If you purchase your car from a dealership in the state you live, the dealership will handle the inspections, registration, plates, etc. However, once you move to a new state you'll need to "retitle" the car into the new state and obtain their plates, which is where you'll need to do whatever the new state wants.

For example, if you move into California I don't think they'll even allow you to obtain the California plates until you hit somewhere around 8500 miles on the odometer. I think this prevents people from buying their car in another state and bringing it into California, skirting the tax laws or something. Also strict emissions regulations in California. Not positive on the reason. There's another state that requires an insurance stamp for nearly anything you do, which will involve you going to your insurance agent and back to the DMV - I think that one's Missouri. If you live in Mississippi, just moving from one county in your state to another county, you'll need to turn in your plates and obtain new plates in the new county of residence. Other states will require a personal property tax, which is usually paid at the time of registration renewal. For Virginia, there is the county decal, which is proof your yearly taxes have been paid. Also any time you move and register your vehicle from one island in Hawaii to another island, you'll need to "retitle" it to the new island!

Once your vehicle is registered in your home state, you can legally drive in any other state. Although it'll be rare if you ever see a car with Hawaii or Alaska plate in the continental U.S. :-)

This is only a very brief idea of what happens here. Of course there are federal laws and guidelines which all states need to follow - but then you get into each individual state and local laws. Doesn't sound too consistent does it?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I lived in Jonesboro, Helena and Arkadelphia. Last year was 1991.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I checked a title, and there is no requirement for it to be notarized or signed in front of some other official when transferring title in Illinois.

Reply to
Ray O

The systems you have in place sound like a legal minefeild. I am gald we only have 7 states. All our emmsions laws and Roadworthy standards are basically nationide with minor variation such as costs of registration and insurance as well as frequancy of roadworthyness checks. The only time you need to change plates here is if you move from state to state, and even then trasport companys can get nationwide plates. I think i'll have to slap myself if i ever complain about our registraion system again.

Thanks for the info Dave.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

Perhaps but the VIN is visible on many of the major body parts as well. Look under your rocker molding or front and rear facia for instance. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You will not find a raised seal on the title issue to you. The raised seal only appears on the one sent to the state for transfer

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In the US when one buys a new vehicle the dealership provides a COV, a title like instrument, that comes from the manufacture that is used to obtain a title in a particular state. Generally, whenever the vehicle ownership is transferred, the owner(s) signature(s) must be verified by a title agent, notary, etc to be the signature of the legitimate owner(s.) That title is surrender to the state, which then issues a new title in the name of the new owner(s). Generally, the vehicle itself need not be seen to simply transfer a title. The other requirements, generally, are that all taxes be paid, necessary inspection criteria have been met, insurance coverage in effect at the time of transfer and that a current, new, transferred, transit or temporary, plate is in effect for that vehicle if it is to be driven on the public byways on/or taken to another state. There are no federal licensing requirements in the US, generally.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've noticed that as well. Why then do the get federal interstate highway funds, or why do they pay the federal highway gas tax of 18.5 cents? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You will find that requirement in the regulations, do a search. The agent places his stamp, seal and signature as needed

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I did a search of Illinois regulations regarding motor vehicle titles, there is no requirement that an official stamp, seal, notarize, or sign a title transfer in Illinois, and have never had it done on vehicles I have sold to private parties in this state, unlike the other 7 states where I have bought and sold vehicles or audited dealer sales, where there are more protections against fraud.

Reply to
Ray O

Through 1973 you had to turn in your old registration card to get a new one, and they had to be notarized. I also have a tranfer document to transfer our 1970 plates from one vehicle to the other, and it's notarized by my great-aunt. Basically it's just a typewritten letter saying that the plates are being transfered to the new vehicle.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

If just anybody can sign a title why have a title? You are free to believe whatever you wish.. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

COV? Not familiar with that one - what is it? I may know it as an MSO - Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. Comes with every new car and needed to T&R. Are they supposed to be the same thing?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Tax needed to fund the highway between California and Hawaii.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

You're welcome! But it's a minefield when you move from one state to another. Then it's a matter of going to your local DMV to find out what you need. One way to get around it - don't move to another state! lol

-Dave

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

What I mentioned about notarizing, maybe it's not needed in all states. But I work for a leasing/management company and when drivers decide to purchase the vehicles, the documents we send are normally notarized whenever necessary whether it be on a bill of sale, title, etc. I don't work in that specific department so don't know all the details for the different states. We work with all 50 states, and different people worth with different states.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Yes, COV is the government term

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What is it the acronym for?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

The former IL Secretary of State, who went on to become governor, was recently sentenced to jail for all the shenanigans that went on while he was SOS. Perhaps IL will smarten up and tighten the regulations on title transfers.

Reply to
Ray O