Corolla Doors Autolocking

Why do the doors have to lock automatically anyway? Surely any car manufacturer can make a door latch that doesn't let the door fly open on its own.

Reply to
badgolferman

I think the idea was to keep the kids from opening the door and falling out when you are driving.

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

But don't the locked doors open from the inside just like unlocked doors do? If so, it doesn't stop kids from opening them.

Reply to
Ken Blake

There are child locks inside the door jamb on any car these days. They prevent the rear doors from being opened from the inside. Those take care of the kids. So, why must we have auto-locking doors?

Reply to
badgolferman

That's a good question -- why the doors have to lock automatically. A better solution, to me, is a central locking button that I can press to lock the doors. I've found (in my F150) that if I start the car with the door open, the lock circuit is bypassed and the locks do not activate. The theory has to be, if the doors are open, why bother locking them? It gets me around the autolock feature until my dog steps on the lock button.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It keeps the carjackers at bay, it does not preclude the doors from opening from the inside. In theory, it holds the latches closed more tightly (securely) than if the lock is not employed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks.

Reply to
Ken Blake
< I've found (in my F150) that if I start the car with the door open,

Thanks. I'll try that, and if it works, try to remember to do it.

Reply to
Ken Blake

I just tried umpteen more times. I give up. I'll live with it.

Reply to
Ken Blake