1994 Toyota Tercel Timing Belt Cover

How do I remove the bolt that holds the crankshaft pully on so I can change the timing belt on my '94 Tercel? It's an E3 engine, and has resisted all my attempts at loosening, much less removing the bolt. C4 is NOT an option, as the car is in the garage. However, after I get it back on the street . . .

Mac

Reply to
MoonPuppy

Try an impact gun.

Reply to
Ray O

Like I've been doing? All it wants to do is round the bolt, and overheat the impact gun. Is there any way to . . . wedge the pulley?

Mac

Reply to
MoonPuppy

I am not really familiar with the camshaft setup, but if you can put a wrench on one of the camshafts, can you have a helper hold it while you put a breaker bar on the pulley bolt?

Reply to
Ray O

impact gun. Is there any way to . . . wedge the

the timing belt on my '94 Tercel? It's an E3

the bolt. C4 is NOT an option, as the car is in the

on one of the camshafts, can you have a helper hold

Eeek, on my Supra that bolts @200 foot pounds.

Why not rent, make or buy a tool to hold the pulley. You will need it to tighten the bolt properly anyway.

I hesitate to mention this because it is so dangerous but some people will get there breaker bar wedged on the ground or frame and click the starter.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Mac,

Have you tried a heavier 1/2 impact gun on the highest setting? I usually spray some WD40 or breakaway on the bolt and I've always needed a special size socket but after a few attempts it comes off. I don't think if your present impact gun budges it in a few seconds more efforts with that gun won't help. I have one 1/2 impact that is weaker than another so I would suggest trying another one.

Reply to
Joey