Follow Up - Too Lean

2000 Avalon I posted a couple of weeks ago and got some good advice from qslm and Ray. Anyhow, my Avalon's "check engine" light was on. The Autozone diagnostic indicated a too lean condition (you were right, qslm; it was, indeed, code PO171). Anyhow, as suggested, I took out the MAV sensor. It looked fine but I hit it with a little air and gave the platinm wire a soft brushing. I put it back together and the light is now off. Is it fixed? Who knows?

Now, I have a question re the MAV diagnostic suggested in the Haynes manual. It says to read the voltage between connector #4 and ground. The manual indicates that the voltage should be 9 to 14v. I am reading 4.25 volts. Is this normal? Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

I'm assuming you mean pin #4 of the connector at the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. I can't think of the connector layout right now, but I want to say that the sensor should not have battery voltage as your manual indicates, but rather ECU voltage which is close to 5V. But like I said I can't picture it in my head right now. (BTW the ECU itself and all its peripherals run off of 5V) In any case, I find that about 50% of Avalons that come in with that code simply have some crap on the sensing wire up inside the body of the sensor, and cleaning it with shop air or that computer-cleaning stuff in a can usually works.

Reply to
qslim