Shap Manual - Fair Price

My 2000 Avalon has a too lean condition which was diagnosed by "qslim" (thanks, btw) as most probably a mass air volume sensor. Anyhow, I got to thinking that I don't even know where to find the MAVS on the *&^%^ car! Anyhow, I looked on eBay for a shop manual and found only one. The seller wants $105 for the complete set (two volumes). It's advertised as the original Toyota shop manual. Is this a good price? Thanks. jor

The link to the eBay item is:

jor

It seems like a reasonable price to me, and the shipping is reasonable too at $15.00.

But the seller does not accept PayPal. He/She wants either a Personal Check, a Money Order or a Cashiers Check. and he/she wants 7 days for the payment to clear before shipping. these payment methods would deter me,

One last comment, the seller has a 100% positive feedback with 233 feedback reports.

I don't know how many volumes are in the entire set of Toyota Service Manuals for a 2000 Avalon.

Reply to
RunnerBiker

You can get info on ordering a factory service manual directly from Toyota at

. You can call the material distribution center to get a price and factory publication number. Factory service manuals are usually in the vicinity of $150. You can ask the e-bay seller to read you the publication number to see if it matches the factory one.

BTW, look at the air filter canister and throttle body for the mass air flow sensor.

Reply to
Ray O

Hey Jor, I think that you might be able to do better with a Chilton or Haynes rather than the factory volumes (of which there are two, yes), or you might consider a subscription to AllDataOnline. It's just my opinion, but I think that Toyotas manuals suck, and I've heard the same opinion from many techs I've worked with over the years. They are obtuse, the diag procedures are sometimes counter-intuitive, and most importantly they are very much written for technicians rather than owners. In other words, there are no 'theory of operation' briefs as in Chilton or all data; it's assumed that the person reading the manual has a firm conceptual grasp on what is happening. I've lost count of times I've tossed the FRM on my toolbox and dialed up our AllData account to solve a problem on a Toyota. Just wanted to throw that out there as I've had a few owners come up to me over the years with their new FRM manual in hand asking how the hell they should proceed with something.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks for the reply, guys. I'll take a look at the after markets before I go for the actual shop manual. Good idea on thenuber match. I'll post on what I end up with. jor

jor

Yea, that ticks me off. It makes the whole transaction a pain. I really like PayPal but the service has offed some sellers. jor

Reply to
jor