FS: 14x5.5" Steel rims for 01-03 Prius, 93-02 Corolla, pre-2004

I have a set of four 14 x 5.5 steel "generic" black rims available for sale. $120 for the set. If you are near 10589 (NY, USA), I am willing to drive about 2 hours for delivery, otherwise you will have to pay shipping (I'd guess around $80 for the set).

I'm only selling them as a set of 4. (But feel free to break up the set later if you wish. If you can find another owner or three if you only want 2 rims for winter use or for use as a full-sized spare, that's fine, but you do the split of the set.)

I used the rims on my 2001 Toyota Prius between Nov. 2005 and April

2006 (
Reply to
mrv

You may have better luck selling the entire wheels instead of just the rims.

Reply to
Ray O

I didn't realize that there was a difference between a rim and a wheel

- that the terms are used interchangeably.

In this case, it's the round metal thing that you can mount a tire onto, and that bolts onto the car. No tire included.

Sorry for the confusion!

Reply to
mrv

Calling a wheel a "rim" is probably one of the most common errors in the use of automotive terminology, akin to referring to a car as a "bumper" or a house as a "roof."

You can look up the terms "wheel" and "rim" at

Ray O

You're technically correct, but at the same time I don't think anyone who read the original post was confused.

Aside to Michelle Steiner: Do you think we should invite Tony to join this thread?

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Yes, I am nit-picking and agree that in this particular case, the message was not confusing. I try to teach people correct terms so that they will not come across like Cliff the mailman from "Cheers" when they deal with someone in the auto business.

There are several instances where using "rim" as a synonym for wheel will lead to confusion or ambiguity: What is a split rim? Where would you look for rim damage?

Reply to
Ray O

And I was really pretty much reacting to something going on in another thread in another newsgroup entirely. The Tony I referred to was simply told the actual name of a computer product and went ballastic.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Good luck getting more than $15 per rim used for them. Put them on your local CRAIGSLIST - the cost to ship far exceeds their value.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hell no. Keep him corralled in csms.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Well, at least I'm not alone... Now I know why I'm confused!

but it just seems that I am using an archaic term.

mrv

All three of those links make a distinction between "wheel" and "rim."

I didn't think you were selling wagon wheels since they probably wouldn't fit your car ;-)

The problem with information published on the internet by independent tire and wheel dealers is that there is no easy way to verify whether they have the knowledge and background to be a credible source of information. Major tire and wheel manufacturers, associations, automakers, and SAE sites are much more likely to contain correct information.

Reply to
Ray O

Synecdoche is a spice of language; paprika, I think.

In a field where one may scrub his tyres on the kerb, retrieve the spare from the boot, and dodge a lorrie while changing the knackered tyre I think I can let this slide. If there were a distinct item that is a rim on most cars the confusion would be more of a problem.

Mike

"It's a perfectly cromulent word." - Mrs. Krabappel of "The Simpsons"

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Sold.

I have learned that some Honda Civics also take this same size wheel.

Reply to
mrv