Carina E transmission oil change

Can somebody provide me with instruction/drawings or (preferred) pictures on how to change the transmission oil? Carina E 1993 manual transmission.

Reply to
Hans O. Reimer Hansen

Very cheap source of service info - you can buy one day of access here:

JoeSpareBedroom

Should be a drain at the botoom of the tranny, and a fill on the side. Loosen the fill to let the stuff come out easier, and then remove the drain.

Oh, and this stuff is thicker than Auto Tranny fluid, so it is probably best done warm.

Replace the plug and the gasket, and then, using the proper grade gear oil, open the fill plug on the side fully, and fill until it JUST starts to run out. If you have a 'greaser' it will be that much easier; what I do is put a piece of hose over the tip of the bottle (it has a 'nipple' on it) get the bottle as high as you can and squeeze the bottle. You'll probably need a few quarts; get one quart more than you need in order to fill the bottle enough to fill the tranny! (You'll only be able to get about 2/3 of a bottle in this way!).

Of course, I'm describing a RWD car here. If yours is FWD, you'll probably have no trouble filling the tranny! There *ARE* some advantages to FWD!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm pretty sure that the Carina is FWD. Also, confirm the correct oil to use - some manual transmissions use ATF instead of gear oil.

Reply to
Ray O