Glovebox

A *glove compartment* or *glovebox* or *glovie* is a compartment built into the dashboard , located over the front-seat passenger's footwell in an automobile , often used for miscellaneous storage. The name derives from the original purpose of the compartment, to store gloves . They were sometimes in a box on the floorboard near the driver, hence the alternate moniker of a "glovebox". In most vehicles, the glove compartment closes with a latch, with the option of being locked with a key (often desirable when using valet service, or when parking while the convertible top is down, or when the compartment contains a mechanism to open the trunk ).

Reply to
Sharx35

And as we all know, Wikipedia--editable by random people anytime it suits them--is the absolute end of all knowledge.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Which American English? That of Boston? Or of Alabama? Or of northeastern Ohio? Or of Milwaukee? Or of Minneapolis?

Don't f*ck with a linguist; you'll lose.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

California, of course. We speak correctly and have no accents. Well, some of us have Hispanic accents, of course. There are always exceptions.

:-)

Reply to
The Real Bev