Hesitation?

I bought a used 2001 Toyota Corolla LE. The mileage is around 90,000. The car is a manual 5 speed. The problem is that after I start it and start driving it hesitates for the first half mile or so. It's like it's a about to bog out. I have to keep hitting the gas. I press down on the gas and nothing happens. Then after 10 seconds or so of doing this it will begin accelerating smoothly.

This problem seems to be getting progressively worse. It only happens when I have just started it after it was sitting cold for an amount of time. In other words, it doesn't hesitiate after I've been driving it for awhile. Only after accelerating from a cold start. What could be causing this?

Note: I did get a tune up a few months ago but it has had no effect on this problem. Also, I have noticed that ever since I bought the car it doesn't get the gas mileage it should be getting. Could the hesitation problem and poor gas mileage be related also?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Reply to
Lexis

Check for vacuum leaks, check the idle air control valve, check cold idle-up, check fuel pressure at the injectors, check for cracks or leaks in the intake tube between the air filter and throttle body.

If cold idle-up is not correct, check the coolant temperature sensor.

If all this stuff checks out, check fuel injector spray pattern.

Reply to
Ray O