Homelink Visor

The Avalon I just bought doesn't have the nifty homelink garage door opener in the visor like my old Avalon did. I'm thinking that it must be just a regular opener that runs off of battery power. So the questions are:

  • Could I just find a homelink visor for a Camry or Avalon on eBay and swap it out with mine?
  • As an alternative, could I buy a Camry/Avalon homelink mirror or overhead console and swap it? Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

It's sad how spoiled we get, isn't it? I'm used to the Homelink in the Lexus and Sequoia, so it bugs me to have to use the clunky remote in the Avalon ;-)

I don't know the answer to your question, but you have to peel back the headliner to see if the wiring for the Homelink is there. Ask your local Toyota dealer parts department if it is possible. I suspect that the answer is no, since it is not listed as an available dealer-installed accessory.

Reply to
Ray O

I used the homelink for a spell on my 04 Sienna and although it worked to open my garage door it seem to not have much range. I am used to opening the door from several hundred feet away with my regular control, homelink required me to be in the driveway or almost in front of the door. I didn't like waiting for the door to open. I think I'm spoiled too. :)

Reply to
dbu`

Ha ha... yea, I really liked just poking my finger up at that visor. Well, I'll just pop it off and see if it's wired for a remote. I'll post results. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

Mine worked from a good distance. My driveway from the street to the garage is 130' and I could open the door from the street. jor

Reply to
jor

I have a homelink button on the visor of my '03 Avalon...I thought it was standard (or is it only on the XLS?) I use it but I don't particularly like it, because as one responder says, it doesn't have much range, and mine needs to be pushed for just about 3/4 of a second. Less time, (just pushing it and releasing) doesn't operate the door, and if you push it for a second or two, it will operate the door for a moment and then the door retracts into the ceiling again. Timing your push tends to become a bit of a pain in the rump.

Reply to
mack