Hood Scoop on Rav4 - Any Useful Purpose?

The SP package includes a hood scoop. What for? Is it merely decoration (that probably robs you of a little bit of mileage) or does it actually scoop air into the engine for combustion or purposeful cooling?

Reply to
dh

Think of the hood scoop as a computer, and the plain hood as a webtv. Then you'll be in synch with a few others on this forum. Just kidding. Bob

Reply to
BushkaBob

Also a few bucks in Toyotas coffers!

Reply to
ron

"" wrote: > Also a few bucks in Toyotas coffers!

all it is there for is to make the car look pretty. with 2-3 exceptions all scoops and spoilers in the last 20 years have been for looks only. I mean come on people, a spoiler in the back of a FW drive minivan. the first time I saw that I laughed so hard I almost hit the car next to me. the quickest way to tell in most cars is pop the hood. is there a forced air intake system? heck, does the scoop hole even go through the hood? if not its purely show.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

You know, spoilers are meant to keep the rear end on the ground at speeds >120mph. So the scoop prolly helps in about the same manner.

(Scoops and spoilers = for kids who never grew up and like the Matchbox toy look...)

Reply to
Big Kahuna

The same for alloy wheels - lighter and handle better than steel wheels - at

The one advantage of steel wheels is you can use the "spinner" hubcaps! But those neon lights in the wheel wells and 7,000 watt sound systems really enhance the performance of the car.

If how your car looks and sounds is what turns you on - got for it! Just stop lying about why you do it. You don't have to keep telling us how the rear spoiler improves handling and how alloy wheels handle better in a 25 mph zone with school bus stopped in front of you. I have seen soccer moms in minivans out accelerate riced up Hondas with coffee can exhaust pipe covers and NOS stickers all over the car.

Reply to
ma_twain