How to disable 2002 Sienna daytime running lights?

Only those who have been though such checkpoints know what that means, apparently and he's not one of them.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Because he want's to drive around like a gangsta.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

When is there a need to turn them off at all, let alone "often"?

How do they contribute to accidents?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Sat-nav systems are not a required device either, but I can't get some cars without the dad-blasted things.

So it's a decision by the manufacturer whether or not to include DRLs, just like any other feature.

That doesn't spell out why it should be illegal NOT to offer a way to turn them off.

"not been shown to reduce collisions" is a FAR cry from "causes accidents", which is your other assertion.

Please clarify.

If your clarification is nothing more than "I don't like them," then just say so.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I can see this is hopeless to expect much from the discussion.

In fact the military installation I drive on to has a sign that says 'PARKING LIGHTS' only when approaching the gate. If one has trouble understanding why there is a distinction then you likely should be doing something other than hanging out in Usenet groups riding around on your high horses condemning others.

As for the naysayers on the 2008 NHTSA study. It is available at: www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811029.pdf (3MB - a great read) Read the entire document if you care, or simply check the Executive Summary paying particular attention to the phrase in Summary of Results stating, "A negative effectiveness suggests that DRLs might have unintended adverse effects." There are more negatives in the results than positives, particularly when you read deeper into the body of data.

Reply to
NWW

Ya and the MP's know what driving lights are so the rest of your bullshit is exactly that; BULLSHIT.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Aha.

So the original claim of "dim lights when approaching" is NOW being changed to "parking lights only".

So black is now white?

Now let me ask you this: if the car is equipped with DRLs, does that mean the gate MPs will haul you off to federal prison for not complying with this particular sign?

But the claim on the table is "causes accidents".

Again, black is white in your world.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And none has seat belts, either. Your point?

Oh--if your point is that "I've never had an accident and therefore I don't need that particular feature," you sound like the idiot you are.

In high school I dated a girl whose family never used seat belts--and in fact swore AGAINST them. Why? Because one time in an old 60-something Chevy mom and dad were in an accident where the steering wheel got forced backwards and impaled the front seatback. And boy, if dad had been wearing a seat belt, he wouldn't have been able to scoot over on that bench seat and get out of the way, and he woulda been KILT.

Ergo, seat belts are universally BAD.

You, sir, belong to that family.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In message , Elmo P. Shagnasty writes

In the EU. All cars type tested after Feb 2011 must have DRLs.

Reply to
Clive

Military installations are all standardized on what is and is not allowed and perm DRL are allowed without issue. He's _LYING_.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Yeah, but the EU prohibits ugly carrots and bananas with too much curve. And they just declaredthe water was not a remedy for dehydration.

Reply to
micky

But... was she cute? =3D)

Reply to
Michael

damn skippy she was.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Bullshit.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

There does seem to be an inverse correlation between good looks and brainpower in general, eh!

Reply to
Michael

Late to the party, I know...

Why would anybody want to disable DRLs? There is no upside to disabling them, and no downside to having them. You don't fix anything by making them go off, and you don't hurt anything when they come on.

Granted, you don't hurt anything by having them off, nor do you fix anything when they are on, but why try to reinvent the wheel when it goes round and round just fine the way it is?

Have you tried removing the DRL Relay? This should do the trick without upsetting any other function.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So, turn the lights off.

The DRLs operate at low power, which makes them as dim as you get. The gate guard will get over it, he/she sees hundreds of sets of DRLs everyday. They are trained to not shoot unless the lights are coming straight at them, stay on your side of the road and they will be okay with your DRLs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

*choke* *cough* What?!
Reply to
Michael

You have a point. It is illegal aiui to disable something the US govt. requires on all cars of a given year, but not those which carmakers are not required to use. Running lights are not required by the US (or any other national or state?) govt. Of course t he law could change.

The law in the US prohitbits firmly mounted hood ornaments, but do they sell them after market? I sort of think they do but I'm not sure. That must be illegal and I don't know why the sale isn't stopped, and if anyone is injured or killed by a hood hornament, I think the crime the owner is charged with should be bumped up one substantial notch. That is, if it was manslaughter, it should be murder. If it was criminally negligent homicide, it should be manslaughter.

Speaking of cutting a wire, I cut the wire on my Solara that keeps the top from going up or down when the car is moving more than 3 (iiirc) mph. This saves me time when coming home and when leaving, but more important, when it starts to rain while I'm driving, I can get a head start on putting up the top before I either slow down

Reply to
micky

I didn't finish this sentence, I see, or the rest of the paragraph. .....I want to get a head start putting upt the top before I either slow down becaue of stalled traffic up ahead, or stop under an overpass, in order to finish putting up the top. As long as one is going over 10 or 15 mph in a light rain, or 25 in a moderate rain, or

50 in a heavy rain, it won't rain into the car, Much less than that and it does rain in, even on the front seat. .

I've been doing this for 35 years wihtout any problems,.and afaik Toyota is the only maker that makes it difficult.

Reply to
micky