I got a new Prius

In California, probably because the Highway Patrol is paid off by Detroit, they require 4WD or chains in winter on many roads in the Sierra-Nevada. As you might imagine, if one goes skiing a lot, it's much easier to buy a 4WD vehicle than it is to put chains on every time you ski.

I agree, I don't need a 4WD, but it's a lot more convenient to have one. Furthermore, Subaru is the safest line of cars, and they're all AWD.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

Oh, no it isn't... ;P

Reply to
Hachiroku

One of THESE?!?!?!

This is a '92. AFAIK, all they sold in the US was this:

But they never sold it in the US as a 4-door. I tried to buy one Saturday but No Sale (Are you GETTING this, Wickeddoll?!?!?)

Or one of these:

This is a "Chevy Nova", a hatchback made on the Toyota Sprinter platform. They had a weird looking rounded hatch on them.

Hachiroku

Thanks...mark...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope.

Yes, that was it! :-) Finally. May not have been exactly the same as the Corolla, but very, very close. Plus mine was a lovely dark blue, w/ just a hint of teal in its color. ;-) I loved that car...

And the rounded hatch was *not* weird, I'll have you know! ;-P

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Oh, yes it was!

I almost bought one of these for my 'new wife' in 1985. The only problem was, it was a diesel. She wanted it, I wound up getting a Jetta...

and then trading it for a Corolla 2 years later. Should have got the Corolla in the first place!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Does this work? What happens to them? How do you know? In NJ we have an 800 number to call in when you see aggressive driving. I always wanted to use it but do not like to dial while driving. I always thought you had to call when you saw it, not later on, but never really knew for sure. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

This is exactly the case. Learning to drive in NJ is different than many other places. Another thing that must be done here is to begin signaling when you change lanes, not beforehand. It is not asking permission to go, it is telling people you are going.

That being said, I leave about 5-6 carlengths, and if a chiselhead needs to go in, he goes in. Life goes on. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I have noticed this also Bill. Another reeducation aspect for the hoi polloi resulting from the new silent cars.

Thanks for the link as well, much appreciated. I actually have already run across this and have saved it to my hard drive. I am reading it bit by bit. A Prius manual written by owners, not by Toyota. A good thing. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Oh no, it wasn't!

Why the Jetta if it was going to be her car & she wanted the Corolla? Oh, or do you mean she got the Corolla & you got a Jetta?

Yep.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Yep, TurboTax will catch that. I actually bought it at the end of last year so it will count this April. Thanks for the reminder, much appreciated.

At 50 years old now, I am getting more fun out of the mileage than the zip so far (although I just feel more pep in the Sienna...It just does not feel like a zoomy car. There is a delay when you put your foot down as the engine starts up. I made the comment to my wife that I need to do predictive acceleration.). Same goes for the Jeep - it is not a mileage car and not a zippy car, but when the top and doors are off and the wind is all around at 70 mph or 50 on the back roads it is exactly what I have it for (besides going on trails). I guess the only time I am in a rush these days is when I am going up to Burlington or upstate NY from NJ and just want the trip to be shorter. Otherwise I am not in a rush anymore much. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Up 91 or um...86?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I always thought it made the car look like a jellybean. I tried to buy one a couple years ago but the owner wouldn't sell

Same with an FX16 (You getting this, Wickeddoll?) And a 1988 Camry Wagon with 67,000 miles on it.

I already had an '80 SR-5 and wanted a sporty sedan, which Toyota wasn't making at the time.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've driven both. You can't give in. If you do, you'll end up at the end of the line. Just drive!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Pardon, but your slip is showing... Ivan "Ironman" Stewart.

(Yanno, there is this thing called Google if you aren't sure...) ;-P

It's about 50/50 between driver skill and vehicle capabilities. A really good driver can do amazing things with a clapped out beater if driven well - and a fool driver can get a Killer 4X4 hopelessly stuck in fifteen seconds...

Good vehicle and a good driver - ain't no place you can't go. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

When you report, it's kept confidential. When enough reports come in the driver is located and brought in for questioning, or possibly brought into court and questioned.

Reply to
mark digital©

Doing stuff like THAT enabled me to retire from full-time paid work at the age of 42. One Camry in the garage serves us well 99.99% of the time. We no longer make our insurance agent, mechanic, gas station rich by HAVING to have a bloody fleet littered about our property like some Mississippi red neck.

Reply to
sharx35

Hachi, I feel your pain. These are the same type of naive fools who think that one can negotiate with terrorists and other barbarians. LIEbrawls, DEMONrats and various types of Luddites.

Reply to
sharx35

No, no, I feel your pain. What about challenging those tempted to cut in with your hairy eyeball look?

Reply to
sharx35

Seriously, you are my hero is you really do sic the law on those idiots who litter. I reported a vehicle once after the passenger heaved a bloody 12 pack of beer bottles out the window. Turned out, when the RCMP when to serve the summons, that the perp was a suspect in some B and E.

Reply to
sharx35