Information Gleaned from Domestic Content Labels

I promise not to get made at you until after I see the first post. Ed did do a great job.

I am still waiting for Mike brilliant remarks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Mike,

I want to put this to bed once and for all. Last week I emailed the WMI co-coordinator at the SAE and asked about how WMIs are assigned. Here is the response:

Prior to 1980 when WMI codes were reserved for US manufacturers (as well as the rest of the world), there were three possible first positions 1, 4 or 5. So, once the "1" in the first position was depleted for available codes, the "4" was given to large, US manufacturers. Once the "4" was depleted, we began to use the "5" in the first position for large, US manufacturers.

The only assumation for the WMI code assignment is, which large US manufacturer applied sooner for a WMI code than another. I randomly checked my database for Ford Motor Company and they have codes beginning with 1, 4 and 5.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Cathy Douds WMI Coordinator SAE International

400 Commonwealth Drive Warrendale, PA 15096-0001 724.772.8511 724.776.3087 - fax snipped-for-privacy@sae.org

-----Original Message----- From: C. E. White Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 9:19 AM To: Cathy Douds Subject: Question about the nature of the WMI

Dear Ms. Douds,

I need your help in understanding the nature of the WMI portion of an automotive VIN as applied to vehicles manufactured in the US. I've noticed that US assembled vehicles don't always have a "1" as the first digit of the VIN. Sometimes the first digit is a "4" or a "5". What is the significance of the different first digits? Does this digit indicate a difference in the domestic content of the vehicle? Can I assume that a vehicle with a "1" for the first digit includes more domestically produced content than a vehicle with a "4" or a "5". Or, for instance, can I assume that a Toyota with a "5" for the first digit of the VIN has such a low level of domestic content that it does not qualify as a "domestic" vehicle?

I would appreciate you assistance in this matter.

Regards,

C. E. White

Will you please stop claiming that WMIs are related to domestic content.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Great job Ed!