Is this Toyota dealer dishonest or?

Just got another solicitation from my T dealer. The second paragraph is double height and in red all capital letters as follows:

THE RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVAL FOR YOUR 2006 TOYOTA SIENNA IS 4 MONTHS OR 5,OOO MILES, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

This is contrary to everything else in writing that states 6 months or

5,000 miles.

He is pushing a "Minor Service Special" for $59.95. Where they lubricate chassis (I understood there were no such lubrication points.???) and service rear brakes (why?). So far I only have 1800 miles on the odo.

Is this Toyota dealer dishonest or does he not know his ass from a hole in the ground here at the END of the 2006 production/sales year?

Would actors like this have the mental ability to follow a check list and perform specified routine tasks?

Should I trust them and why?

Should I forward this to the state AG?

mo

Reply to
MO full name

The software that the dealer is using probably is smart enough to insert the year and model for your vehicle but not smart enough to know the specific requirements for it so they use a generic recommendation based on the most service-intensive vehicle. For example, vehicles with drum brakes should have periodic cleaning and have the adjustment checked.

Follow the recommendations in your owner's manual.

Reply to
Ray O

They have had a full year to get it right! Is this anything other gross incompetence, misrepresentation and fraud for personal or corporate gain? Blaming software and at this late date - does this have any validity people? So what kind of service should I expect with this sort of thinking?

Reply to
MO full name

He didn't say recommended by whom. He recommends you bring in the car more than necessary so he can make more money.

Reply to
Art

Ray's comments were spot-on.

I hope you find peace.

Reply to
Masked

=====

Why don't you call the dealer up and ask why the letter says "4 MONTHS" instead of 6. Maybe he'll /claim/ it was just a /typo/.

Would be a good excuse on his part while he still snares those who don't read the manual.

Reply to
Built_Well

Note that it doesn't say WHO recommends 4 months or 5,000 miles.

Certainly the *dealer* recommends that.

Well, of *course* he is.

You need to get it out of your mind that these people have any interest in your as a person. They see you as a cash cow to be milked. And they will do everything they can to separate your money from your wallet.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's not misrepresentation in the least.

Grow up, fer chrissakes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Must depend upon the dealership. I walked in once quite a few years ago, asking about a tune-up, pre-winter, since I'd had only minor services done up till that point. The service manager asked how many miles I had on the car (~10K, IIRC), & then asked how it was running. Fine, I said. He replied,"In that case, don't bother until you hit 15K (IIRC) miles, since that's what's recommended as the first major servicing for your particular car."

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Dealerships generally purchase software from vendors, who make it generic enough to be able to sell to dealerships for any make and model. The letters and advertisements are basically just a mail merge. The recommended interval used to be 4 months or 3,000 miles, they probably just changed the mileage.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a feeling that I will find out if this is their standard business practice. They may just want to 'mail-merge' a correction or retraction to everyone. A major chain was recently convicted and at least fined big time for selling un-needed parts and services. Don't know the details but in CA you better not do this or you may find yourself doing a classic perp walk.

Have other T owners gotten similar letters with incorrect service intervals?

Reply to
MO full name

Almost all dealers advocate much more maintenance than required by the manufacturer because dealers now derive most of their profits from the service dept., not the sales dept. If you follow the strictest maintenance schedule listed in the owner's manual, you'll likely spend only 30-50% the cost of the dealer's recommendations. There's one maintenance item that may actually not be recommended enough: brake fluid change. If you have ABS, get it done every 2 years, regardless of mileage (removes moisture, which is absorbed from the air, even through rubber brake lines).

Chassis lubrication now often consists of merely spraying rubber preservative on the joint boots (ball, CV, steering rack) and suspension bushings. Rear brake service probably entails inspecting the shoes (if they're drum brakes, I hope they pull the drums since there's usually an inspection port for only 1 of the shoes, and shoes and pads don't always wear evenly) and adjusting the parking brake.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Eh? I've never heard of any such requirements.

Reply to
dizzy

I had a similar situation. I simply showed them the recommendations in the owner's manual (as Ray O recommended) and asked why they were suggesting different. The dealer backed off.

Arthur Hass

MO full name wrote:

Reply to
Arthur Hass

With the advent of automatic transmissions, many people no longer routinely use their parking brakes, and using the parking brake is what adjusts the shoes on Toyotas with drum brakes. Periodic cleaning will lessen brake squeal.

Reply to
Ray O

IIRC, in the old days applying the (drum) brakes while in reverse would adjust them. Is this no longer the case? Or maybe Toyota's just different?

Reply to
dizzy

Toyota used two different systems. One is as you describe, just applying the brakes in reverse. The other type is adjusted by applying the parking brake. Even so, the automatic adjusters often do not do an adequate job and so they require manual adjustment. The backing plates have plugs for access to the star wheel, and the repair manual has procedures for adjusting the brakes because of the limited adjustment range of the automatic adjusters,

Reply to
Ray O