Leaking Antifreeze

My 1995 Pickup sporatically leaks antifreeze through the water pump when parked. Does the fact that this only happens sometimes mean that the water pump needs to be replaced? Or is the leak from further within the engine? Does anyone have experience with this? How much would a mechanic charge to replace the water pump?

-dan

Reply to
overconsolidated

How many miles? Has the timing belt been changed? If yes, at what mileage was it changed?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Does the truck have the 4 cylinder engine or the V6? There is a difference in price and equipment.

If coolant is leaking from the water pump weep hole, the water pump is the likely source of the leak.

Reply to
Ray O

If the OP has the 22RE engine, I'd bet that he has never had a timing belt changed ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

The truck is a V6, and has 141,000 miles. I've owned it for almost three years. I am not sure if it has ever had a timing belt job done.

Where is the weep hole located? It seems to be coming out of the middle to upper portion of the pump. It is hard to describe because it is hard to see.

Thanks for your help-

Dan

Reply to
overconsolidated

I don't know about the weep hole, but I asked about the timing belt because if my son's Camry is indicative of other Toyotas, replacing the water pump is something that should be done at the same time as the timing belt, according to 3 different mechanics. It might just be time to do it. Cost for

1996 Camry for both jobs at the same time: $600.00
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The V6 has a timing belt. If the timing belt was replaced by a Toyota dealer or if someone used an OEM belt and used the sticker that comes with the belt, there should be a sticker with the replacement mileage noted somewhere in the engine compartment, usually on top of the timing cover near the front top middle of the engine, or on the radiator support. The timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles, although you can probably stretch it (no pun intended) to 90,000 miles.

A lot of people replace the water pump when the timing belt is replaced because the labor to replace the pump is about an additional half hour when done in conjunction with the timing belt. At 141,000 miles and 12 years old, it might also be worthwhile replacing the crankshaft and camshaft seals at the same time if the truck is in otherwise good condition and you intend to keep it.

Not all pumps have a weep hole, but if there is one, it is at the lowest part of the water pump. In any event, it sounds like you should have the water pump checked.

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

But the chain guides are known to go bad on the older versions...in that case, time for a new block!

But it wouldn't just be dripping water...

Reply to
Hachiroku