Lexus IS300

Yeah...take a car the size of a Corolla, give it a Supra V-6 and put a semi-automatic on the steering wheel...

Looks like a great combination to me!

Taking it out of the shop today, I THOUGHT it had a 4-banger, so I 'shifted' down and hit the gas just to rev it a little...

REV IT MY ASS! Did I mention it was RWD? Oh, yeah, we're off to the races sideways... Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaa!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Way back when Hach, I did something similar = probably with a bit more oomph

I tried out a 427 Corvette 1965 with 425 hp. I had it on the highway and decided to see what it would do... Big ass mistake. I punched it in 3rd gear (at about 60), it got sideways/ass-holed real quick, I got it straight - scared the crap out of me, went to next turn around and went to dealer and bought a 65 Impala (traded in my El Camino)

That damned Corvette was awesome though. It had the lake pipes and idled at 1200 - shook the whole damned car. They made milder ones but that was once in my life I decided to be sane.

Ron

Reply to
ron

I thought the IS had a straight 6.

There was an IS 430 on display at the Chicago Auto Show a couple of years ago...

Reply to
Ray O

Nope, this was a V-6, 3 liter...

This is a scary thought... ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Oh, yeah...we're talking som e REAL poer here.

I was in Pittsfield MA one day, and I was driving my friend's extremely large Crew Cab (FULL Crew Cab) Chevy PU with an 8ft bed. Vette pulls up next to us and I see the 427 badge on the hood. I pointed and said, "That for real?" Kid nodded and all I said was DAMN! Needless to say, when the light turned green...

I think the 'best' display of overuse of power was also in Pittsfield. It was right around Labor Day, 1980 (Early September) 1979, and it was raining lightly in Pittsfield (Surprise...). Pittsfield has a large traffic circle right smack in the middle of town, separating the norht end of the main drag from the south.

Well, sitting on the rotary was a BRAND NEW 1980 Firebird. There was a kid sitting on the rotary, in the rain, looking like a condemned man, almost crying...

There are the higher, old concrete curbs on this rotary, you know the big square ones...

Both Driver's side wheels were folded up under the car. I never saw a Dead Man Walking before...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Wrong. IS300, like the Supra, has an I6.

The new IS250/350 will have V6's.

Reply to
dizzy

Then it was the funniest I6 I've ever seen. Is the engine 'split' in the middle?

Reply to
HachiRoku

Don't think Toyota/Lexus makes a straight 6 anymore.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Why argue? The official Lexus web site says the IS300 has a 3.0 liter in-line six engine (so I was wrong in my earlier message where I said I thought Toyota had given up on inline sixes).

Perhaps the "split" you saw was between the dual overhead camshafts (kinda like the old Jaquar engine).

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

What I saw was a group of three intake runners and a 3-pipe exhaust manifold. That, plus someone told me it was a V, but also mentioned it was the Supra engine.

But, regardless of straight or V configuration, this is one FAST car!

Reply to
HachiRoku

It does look kind of odd because of the way they bring the intake-manifold over the top of the engine. Still, it's difficult for me to see how it could be mistaken for a V6.

Reply to
dizzy

You're thinking the old Supra engine? This one didn't have the intake over the top, it was loacated at the side.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Wonder if that was Dad's car?

One of the guys I ran with in 60's had a Ranchero, don't remember motor size. He had a guy at stoplight in Corvette - pulled away smartly, really proud of Ford. About that time Corvette blew doors off - they were stopped in town and guy in Corvette said he had to go to 3rd gear to get traction smoked tires bad. Another guy in 63 (remember this is California) had the old Tempest. He changed to real rear end and put 389 in it and could light tires going down hill to about 100. I wouldn't ride with him cause he was crazy.

Reply to
ron

The subject is the IS300. Google Images "Lexus IS300 engine"

Reply to
dizzy

Thanks Diz, I think...(I KNEW what the subject was! ;)

This explains a lot:

What I was seeing was the front set of three pipes on each side (hence, asking if the eingine was somehow 'split'.) It also had the plastic cover over it, and the way it is positioned in the engine bay made it look like a V-6. Damn thing must go right into the Passenger compartment!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Well, what you think is wrong.

Reply to
dizzy

Nice, Diz...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Thanks for the correction. Just for the record, which post-2005 Toyota automobiles will have a straight six built by Toyota?

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Land Cruiser is offered with a straight six diesel in some countries ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

The IS300 under discussion is still available for sale, new, with an I6.

To me, that makes the statement "Don't think Toyota/Lexus makes a straight 6 anymore" a bit premature, especially since you made this statement in response to RayO's post, in which he wrote "I thought the IS had a straight 6".

His post was correct. Your post appeared to contradict his. Is that "on the record" enough for you, moron?

Reply to
dizzy