lift kit question?????

I have a 1983 toyota 4X4 pickup. And I need to buy some new shocks for my truck. And it has 32 inch tires and a lift kit. But I do not know how munch of a lift I have. And I need to know how munch of a lift I have so I can buy the right size shocks for my truck. I am sure I need to tell you more info. But I just not sure what I need to tell you.And it does not have blocks.Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Remove 1 front and 1 rear shock absorber, measure its length at "rest,' fully extended, and fully compressed.

Reply to
Ray O

How do I get it fully compressed?? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Yes.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O,

I thought you gave up! I was on vacation myself and noticed when I got back, you weren't around. Glad to know you're still around... it's OK to have a life, I guess. I always enjoy reading your responses so, again, glad to see you're back!

Thanks.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I was wondering the same thing - what happened to Ray O? Hope you had a good trip, in the great (but colder now) outdoors!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My sister-in-law passed away so we took the 1,100 mile trip to Maine to be with my wife's brother and his family and for her services. We were originally planning to take the Lexus, but the forecast was for snow between Erie, PA and Buffalo (like it seems to be any time between Dec and April) so we took the Sequoia, which is roomier and a lot more sure-footed in the snow. On the way back, we got caught in the freezing rain in OH and IN so the Sequoia ended up being the wise choice.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks! We had as good a trip as can be had, considering it was for my sister-in-law's wake and funeral. The Sequoia performed flawlessly in the snow and freezing rain!

Reply to
Ray O

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear. You and the family have my condolences..

On a lighter note with snow and freezing rain, a Sequoia is a good choice!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Thank you for your condolences.

My original plan was to take the LS 430 since it gets better fuel economy, but in addition to the Sequoia's sure-footedness, it was nice to have room for a little extra luggage - my wife is not a light packer!

Reply to
Ray O

You're welcome, Ray..

Those Sequoia's are BIG. Something tells me she was able to put more than just a "little extra" luggage in there!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Yup! She is by no stretch of the imagination a light packer, and didn't think it was funny when I suggested that we get a pickup with a cap for our next set of wheels :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Hey - you could make it a dually! lol

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

In her case, luggage fills the space allotted to it! If we had a Yaris instead of the Sequoia, she would have to learn to pack a little lighter - maybe even light enough for her to lift instead of me risking paralysis every time she travels. :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Well hey, Yaris it is. Of course I don't think you'll be as comfortable for a long drive and you'll probably hear a lot more from your wife, not being able to fit much..

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

As the young'uns get older and we approach empty-nester status, we'll probably split the difference and get something like a RX 350 or Highlander. She wants a Camry but I still go camping and climbing and drive through some really rutted, muddy roads. I've taken the Lexus down those roads with the suspension set on high but it sometimes takes a few tries to get up the uphill sections. A Rav4 would do the trick but she doesn't like the spare hanging on the back so the RX and Highlander look like the most likely candidates.

Reply to
Ray O

You dont like hybrids? Camry, RX, Highlander all come in Hybrid variant.

Reply to
EdV

I might consider a hybrid, it depends on the dollars and cents.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm surprised you'd even try to get a Lexus through those roads. But hey - if you got it through, that's what counts!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

We have a climbing tower at the top of a hill at our local Scout camp, and the road to the top is basically a path cleared of trees through a wooded area. The road surface is the same as in the woods - mud and leaves, so if it has rained recently, it gets pretty messy but if it has been dry, the Lexus does OK. If it has rained recently, then I try to remember to take the Sequoia to camp.

Reply to
Ray O