Luxeon dome bulb replacements?

Do they have any dome light bulb replacements now, with the new high powered LED's, like Luxeon or something? Something brght white that would really light up the car?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

I custom-made my own 6-CREE XR-E emitter for dome lights front and rear for my Scion TC. It's really easy (wiring, resistor, heatsink) but now my guests complain it's too bright inside at night. I can explain more if you like.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

I'd personally go for the 1/2 million candle power model. You should be able to read a map and get a sun burn at the same time.

Reply to
user

What's wrong with the little incandescent lamp that is in there now? Do you need more light? A replacement is cheap and they do last a long time.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Yeah! Please do!

This helps:

My Subaru kept blowing bulbs, so I put 4 LEDs in parallel using this web page, and put a fuse in line since I didn't know why it was blowing bulbs (and I mean BLOWING them! It was shattering the glass!)

So far, so good!

Reply to
Hachiroku

This helps:

My Subaru kept blowing bulbs, so I put 4 LEDs in parallel using this web page, and put a fuse in line since I didn't know why it was blowing bulbs (and I mean BLOWING them! It was shattering the glass!)

So far, so good!

Go to the Dollar Store and buy 6 'book lights' for $1 each, go to Radio Shack and get a circuit board and some resistors, fire up the soldering iron and get to work!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Luxeon is a brand name, and you will have much better luck just searching for "led dome light."

A search of "led dome" came up with a lot of hits, like:

(PIAA is a name brand aftermarket automotive lighting company).

Ray O

$25 for a dome light?!?!?!?!

,_5MM_.html $0.79 each.

A little time with a soldering iron...

Use 4 LEDs and 4 120 ohm resistors, and be done for

Reply to
Hachiroku

I also want to do the dash mod with blue LEDs and red needles. I'm a bit reluctant to yank the clusters and go at them with a soldering iron, however...

Reply to
Hachiroku

,_5MM_.html>

That works for those who are handy with a soldering iron and understand electronics. For those who are not, google is their friend!

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah. My Subaru kept blowing the dome bulb. I don't know why; perhaps water in the roof, although it doesn't seem wet.

So, I made one myself. Three weeks and it hasn't blown yet. I also put a fuse in line just in case.

I also got a bunch of these for a buck each:

I opened them up, put in a set of wires and a resistor, and put Velcro on the bottom, and Velcro on the map light fixture. I was using them while doing the newspapers, and they work great. (It was cheaper to buy new ones rather than replacing the batteries!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

What value resistors? Please don't make me suffer the pain of having to use Ohm's Law again!

Reply to
Sean Elkins

DUH! Didn't bother to look at the link. Sorry.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Ohm's Law was what finally made Algebra make sense to me! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Me too, actually.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Yeah I wanted to go with white gauges and no change in needles, but those SMD LEDs are scary... don't want to find out I didn't do a good job...

Phil

Reply to
Phil

So, how'd you make the dome lights, and how much was it?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well by the same token, I don't want to blind the daylights out of us. :)

Just something that would put out at least as much light ( or maybe a bit brighter so we could read and write by it, look at maps...? ) as the present incandescent bulb ( 31mm? ) yet be LED?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

EIR.

:)

Reply to
Sarah Houston

HEY! Aren't you a former Elec Tech?!?!?!

I remember now. Yeah, get some Bright White LEDs, use the LED calculator, and make a new light for about $8. You'll never have to replace it, and it works better than an incandescent dome light.

Reply to
Hachiroku