No more Avalon - Merry Christmas to me

Friday I got myself an early Christmas gift. We traded the 2001 Avalon for a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring minivan.

I wish you many happy miles and years, Art. Will you be reporting your experiences in a Honda newsgroup?
Brent

Apparently there are 2 Honda groups. I haven't looked at either yet. Just for the record, we considered the Sienna too. Basically it was a toss up and considering the rattles and other issues in my Avalon we went with the Honda. What is interesting is how much minivans have improved. Mileage on the Honda Touring is 20/28 EPA which is about the same as my 2001 Avalon. The price wasn't too different either. My wife loves the power doors and tailgate. And unlike the Avalon, the dashboard and everything else was installed straight.

Oh well! Art, I wish you well. Matter of fact, you bring to mind ...
"Everyone brings happiness to this forum. Some when they arrive and some when they leave"
-Philip
Hmmm looks like some Toyota buyers are discovering the Toyota make bad cars too. Seems there an awful lot of Toyotas showing up on the used car lots of many brand 'X' dealers. ;)
mike hunt

The dealer is a mega dealer and owns a Toyota dealership. My Avalon will probably end up there.
By the way, I tried to use KBB and Edmunds to estimate trade-in value. What a waste. They differ by 2 grand. I checked my 300M pricing too. They vary by thousands on that car too.

My theory on determining used car values is to take the vehicle to CarMax (if you have one near-by) and let them quote you a price. They know what their cost for buying a similar car will be. I figure you add a few hundred to their quote to determine your real trade in value (not the inflated feel good number the dealers give you).
Regards,
Ed White
The best place to find the most accurate prices at which vehicles are actually selling, in the retail market, is nadagudes.com
mike hunt

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I checked nadaguides.com (I fixed your spelling error) and their price for the 2001 Avalon was ridiculously high. According to them, a dealer could sell my car at retail with 21k miles on it for over $20k. I realize that it is very low mileage but only a complete moron would pay $20k for a 2001 Avalon XLS no matter what the condition or mileage. The trade-in value was similarly out of wack. KBB and Edmunds were both lower and more realistic.

Don't laugh, a bunch of them voted for kerry in the last election, but he lost anyway.

--
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit."

Vince Lombardi
Then there must be a lot of morons out there. NADA Used Car Guide lists are compiled weekly, from dealership of all sizes of all brands. The results are published monthly, in several districts, around the country of the actually retail and wholesale prices at which the vehicles were sold. ;)
mike hunt

Perhaps the printed guide is more up to date than the Consumer (free) web site.

Seems like there are a lot of Toyotas showing up everywhere. But that makes sense, as more Toyotas passenger cars (not trucks) are sold in the US than any other brand.
Merritt
Merritt Mullen wrote:

I guess it depends on where you are. In my area, used Toyotas of any model year on private lots are rare. Even though Toyota may sell more cars than the big 3, I still see a hell of a lot more big 3 cars on private used lots than Toyotas (and Hondas for that matter).
The question remains if Toyotas are superior as some claim, why are their owners buying other brands and not buying another Toyota? ;)
mike hunt

The question you need to answer is WHO is buying those USED Toyotas off your lots? LOL Another question is what are all the Toyota dealers doing with all the FORDS they take in trade?

My Dodge Caravan was only worth $800 to the Toyota dealer who by the way also has a Dodge dealership. I got $3500 for it in a private sale, which I thought was still rock bottom for the shape it was in. I scanned the want ads for used Caravans and there were a ton of em. No wonder, they don't command much on the used market. Everybody gets rid of them before the warranty runs out, LOL. Fords are the same.

--
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit."

Vince Lombardi
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:53:34 +0000, The benevolent dbu wrote:

Hmmmm....wasn't Lia, was it?

--
Have your Virtual Pet spayed/neutered!!

But apparently not many buyers agree with you. Dodge sells at least five Caravans for every van Toyota sells.
mike hunt

Caravans are like Mexicans. They make lots of 'em and they'll make more!
It's like the days when JB Hunt used to buy only International cabovers. JB bought them because they were the cheapest deal. But with the fleet expanding, the USED market became flooded with the "turn-ins." This came to mean International had to lower their guarnateed turn-in value. Hunt saw the writing on the wall and started buying conventional tractors from Freightliner.
--

- Philip