Oil smell after oil changed in 1998 Avalon

All: Phew, after I had Toyota of Escondido replace my engine oil and filter, there was a foul smell of oil. Is this normal in a 1998 Avalon or could there be something wrong? Thanks!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lee

The oil filter on that V6 is top center toward the front of the car. If the tech isn't careful, or doesn't hose down the area below the filter mount after removal, there's a casting area that collects the oil very nicely. Gripe at them next time about what happened and for now snake a rag below the filter with a long screwdriver to wipe the area clean. In a day or so the smell will be gone.

Reply to
witfal

First, make sure that the oil filler cap and dipstick are in place. While you're at it, check the oil level. If all is OK, follow witfal's suggestions.

Reply to
Ray O

As witfal mentioned, the location of the oil filer on those things makes it impossible not to spill oil during a change. I use the same long screwdriver and hose-down technique to keep mine clean. It's really a goofy location for the filter. jor

Reply to
jor