(OT:) 2 out of 3 geologists agree...

Global Warming is a made up myth.
I had an interesting day Friday: all my clients were Geologists. Two agreed with what I have been saying; that the current climtae change is a
normal cycle of the earth, and will end in an ice age. Only one said that man had a great deal to do with it, but also admitted that the Earth is in a eccentric orbit around the sun, and that we may be in a cycle that is moving further away from the sun. Unfortunately, no one is measuring this.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

So you talked with three geologists and think what those three said are in any way representative of geologists in general?
The Earth's orbit around the sun is eccentric. However, this means at some times of the year, (Jan. 3 or so is date the Earth is closest to the sun), the Earth is as closer to the sun as it gets and around July 4, the sun is as far away from the earth as it gets. This is all because the sun's orbit is an ellipse. So while the distance to sun changes throughout the year (and the amount of light changes by around 7%), the distance to the sun is not increasing or decreasing from year to year.
So what the third geologist said is nonsense.
Why don't you show us a scientifically done survey of geologists that shows that geologists don't think global warming is a result of man's activities?
Even President Bush agrees that Global Warming is real and affected by man. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/02/20070207-5.html
Jeff
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:31:51 +0000, Jeff wrote:

There are plenty of them out there.
And you meantion the yearly orbit around the sun. This is not perfect by any means and has periods where the earth moves closer, and then starts to move further away for a period of time.
Just like you said, the Earth is closest to the sun around Jan 3. So why isn't it HOT in January? Because it takes some time for the heat to build up and dissipate.
This same phenonmenon applies to the way the Earth orbits the Sun. So the Earth is warming now, wich means we have already begun the swing in the orbit that takes us further away from the sun.
Better start buying blankets and coal now...

Nope. The reason is that in the northern hemisphere, in January we're at perihelion and tilted away from the sun, so its rays are not direct. This can be verified by the low position in the sky at noon when compared to summer. In the southern hemisphere it's now summer and they're tilted toward the sun. During our summer, the NH is tilted toward the sun, but we're at aphelion, with the SH tilted away during their simultaneous winter.
This explains why Aussie summers are more brutal than ours. Their summers are tilted toward the sun when we're at perihelion. IOW, a double-whammy.
Well, Geologist studies rocks, well mostly =). They are not the *experts* in global warming.

They are when their computer repairman won't shut up about it, so they'll say anything he wants to hear just to get him to leave already.
:-)
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:11:04 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Not really. I had quite interesting discussions with each of them.
See, they realized quite early on in the conversations that they were talking with someone who knew what he was talking about.
Something people with agendas just don't seem to realize...
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:54:04 -0800, EdV wrote:

HUH?!?!
Geologists study more than just 'rocks'! Some specialize in astroGeology, some in hydraulics, some in tectonics, some in vulcanism, some in meteorology.
Saying a Geologists studies 'rocks' is like saying all cars use reciprocating piston engines.
said:

And why Antarctic winters are more brutal than Arctic winters.

Hachiroku wrote:

Evidence please.

ROTFL.
It is hot in January. Very hot. In the southern hemisphere.
While the earth is closer to the sun in January, the major contribution to our seasons is the tilt of the Earth. So in the winter, the northern hemisphere gets less light and the light that does reach the north hemisphere is less direct. Both of these mean the sun is not as able to heat the northern hemisphere in the winter.
In the summer, the earth is tilted so that the northern hemisphere gets more light from the sun and the light is more direct.
You can find out more about this in Wikipedia, or many middle-school science texts.
Jeff

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:20:30 +0000, Jeff wrote:

Of course. But not as hot in the Northern Hemisphere.

Thanks. I think I learned that in 5th grade, IIRC. The thing you missed here is:
If the Earth is closest to the Sun in January, why does it take to July for the temperature to peak?

Don't be condescending with me, Pal. You know what I meant. If you can't answer the query, say nothing. Remember, it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all coubt.

The reason it takes until July to get warm up here is because, although we're closer to the sun, we get less sunlight in the Northern Hemisphere. As a matter of fact on December 23d, nothing above the Arctic Circle gets any sunlight at all. In order to warm something up, you have to INPUT energy.
Look at Mercury. It's only about a third of the distance from the sun that we are but the dark side never gets any sunlight and I presume it's pretty cold. And look how cold the dark side of the moon gets. The side in the sunshine is above the temperature of boiling water. The dark side gets down to -200 F in the 14 days it's in the dark.
DUH.
--
Charles the Curmugeon

Bring back the Rotary Dial and the days when no one had to press 1 to
Hachiroku wrote:

The geologist who said nobody is measuring Earth's orbit or its change needs to talk to some astronomers.
Why were you talking to geologists about climate change instead of to the kinds of scientists who are generally better qualified on the subject?
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 05:20:33 -0800, manny wrote:

HUH?!?!?!
Please read what you just wrote, and alter as required...

So, they didn't say global warming was a myth. They said the human connection to the phenomenon is debatable.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:08:34 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No they said Global Warming is a myth. They said climate change is natural and follows a cycle of 10-15,000 years.
Just like I have been saying for almost a year...

But, things ARE getting warmer, so global warming is NOT a myth. In your crazy little head, can we not use the precise words "global" and "warming" together without meaning "human involvement", which those words DO NOT MEAN?

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date 080121&name=Pardon_My_Planet
http://tinyurl.com/ysqbuj

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date 080121&name=Pardon_My_Planet

Funny.
Notice how hach types the words "global warming". He capitalizes them, as if they are proper nouns, like the name of an organization.

http://tinyurl.com/ysqbuj
Funny.
Notice

Hey, he spells it correctly. Someone else who posts here regularly might spew "globbal warming" or "global warmming".
Bottom line: The earth has been going through climatic changes for millennia. Warm, cool, cold, cool, warm again.
Mars is doing the same exact thing as the earth right now. Unless some idiot wants to blame the two NASA rovers for the Martian global warming, I'd say that's pretty good evidence that humans aren't responsible for much, if any of it.