OT. Crying about Gas $$$

When gas prices went down to $2.19 a few month ago, did you sent extra money to any of the oil companies so they could maintain the dividend level to all those widows, pensioners and orphans that depend on dividend to pay their crushing mortgages and to eat? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My dear friend dizzy AKA Moron, Idiot, Stupid, Troll, asshole etc., you mean the rest of the world, where Toyota has the "home field advantage" of low cost, parts, labor and assembly? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My dear friend dizzy AKA Moron, Idiot, Stupid, Troll, Asshole etc., I'll take your word, for it since you profess to know so much, but if that is true they do not build them in the US

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You must have a 'different Toyota web site than I, if that is what you believe. Even if you were correct and you could buy a FWD 4 cy Highlander at that price, the Escape at the same price has 4WD, a 200 HP 3.0L V6 and an automatic tranny. You are entitled to you opinion and may think the Toyota is a better vehicle, but your opinion is that of a minority. The Escape has been the best seller in the segment for over five years. Far more buyers have chosen to spend their hard earned money on the Escape than the Highlander and have every year since the Highlander has been on the market

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I could be wrong but I believe someone was throwing us a bone. $2.19 came about when the ports were for sale. The sale stalled and the prices began to rise. Coincidence? mark_

Reply to
mark digital

I don't know, were there black helicopters flying around at the time? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Pride station down the street is pushing the ethanol content and giving away free popcorn. At least the popcorn is in individual boxes unlike WaffleMart who thinks it's OK to put out a bucket of popcorn for any slobbering idiot to put his hands into.

Around here the state takes the money and puts it into projects that take so long to finish we regret complaining about the conditions of the roads and bridges. Hachi will bear me out on this one I'm sure.

Reply to
mark digital

I The speculators have driven the price of oil up. Yesterday it lost a couple dollars on profit taking, Oil is not being made as fast as we use it. It is a limited natural resource. As supplies dwindle, prices will continue to go up. I'm happy I don't have to drive a lot.

I cannot understand why in hell we are wasting natural gas and heavy fuel oil to burn in electric power plants when we could be using nuclear, We have vast supplies of untapped coal, but again due to environmental issues we can't use it.

Reply to
The BENevolent dbu

I'm sure they are, but not on any real replacement technology.

I don't care if the gevernments makes more then the oil companies; the oil companies are posting record profits every quarter!

If things were in as much of a squeeze as we are led to believe, then the oil companies would be breaking even at best! We;re given all this flak about how costs have risen due to the price of crude, OK, but how do profits reach records when your raw material costs more?

Reply to
Moonbat

LOL! You wouldn't be talking about a certain leaky tunnel in the East that came in 7 times over budget and 3 years behind schedule, while other roads and bridges crumble now, would you?

Matt Amarillo needs to be fired. The best thing Romney ever did as Governor was hand him his ass on a platter! Unfortunately, Mitt does not have the power to fire him.

Reply to
Moonbat

Come on, Mike! You're much smarter than that.

Reply to
Moonbat

Idiot. The wages and other costs in the countries that Toyota builds is not materially different than the countries that GM builds in. If you have facts to the contrary, post them - no telling us to "search the congressional record" or whatever.

LOL yourself, stupid troll.

Reply to
dizzy

Not my opinion. I looked it up. I no longer bother posting links as a courtesy to you because you're instransigent and then incourteous in return.

The Escape is less expensive but your figures are way off. Are you sloppy, stupid or lazy?

Further, the Highlander is significantly bigger inside, has more standard features (some would say a much nicer interior, comparing base levels), is available with 3rd-row seating for more flexibility in use and, best of all, you don't have to endure the stigma of driving a Ford.

***
Reply to
dh

Yankee and Zoar? IIRC, Zoar was the first commercial nuke plant. I always wanted to stop and check it out but got the impression that they don't welcome visitors.

I used to live near the one in Plymouth (Pilgrim?)

Reply to
Ray O

Another bit of misinformation from Mike. My Honda's both can run on half their cylinders to save gas. And they pollute less than the Chrysler and GM and get better mileage.

Reply to
Art

Yep if you include the vehicles GM almost gives away to rental agencies.

Reply to
Art

The oil companies that own or operate the wells are the ones doing well.

Reply to
Art

Wow, well said! We just hit 7 USD per US Gallon here :-)

Coyoteboy

When I talk to Bostonians (or others who live on the outskirts) and say to them the Big Dig was a Big Financial Drain they shrug their shoulders. I wonder if the landscaping cost will be within budget. I doubt it. My wife jests that the bridge and road projects around here are our equivalent of the Big Dig just to show Boston two can play this game.

Here are the facts. One of our bridges was indeed in dire need of repair. But when it was finished it really wasn't. It was ripped into again to install beams that weren't available the first time around because the company that made the beams went out of business. Massachusetts had to buy the company, restart it, make the beams. I saw the machinery. I saw the tents they used. They work during the day and during the night. Yet when I cross the bridge now I'll be dipped in do-do if I can find any tell tale sign the pavement was chopped up and then patched over. They must be using those new surgical stitches that dissolve. LOL BTW, they'll be back later on this year to finish the job.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Don't feel too bad about screw ups of a major job. In NC they just spent millions widening a highway and now they have to go and re-do it. While widening they put new concrete over old concrete but no one knew how deep to cut the slabs to prevent cracking. They cut them the way they normally do but it turns out that the new slabs had to be cut down all the way to the old paved-over concrete. So now the new concrete is letting go of the old and cracking apart. Will take years of litigation to decide who messed up.

Reply to
Art