{OT} death penalty deters crime

or

badgolferman

The 'perp' sure as hell won't commit any more crimes....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida sprach forth the following:

Which is why your rugrats need to ride the Pine Pontiac home.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

1) From the article, "Ultimately, a panel was set up by the National Academy of Sciences which decided that Ehrlich's conclusions were flawed. But the new pro-deterrent studies haven't gotten that kind of scrutiny." 2) Explain Texas.

3) The application of the death penalty is unfair and, almost certainly, racist and susceptible to error. Prosecutors lie, hide evidence and cheat and they do this in capital cases where the conviction looks best on their resume's. And there's no correcting this, once the sentence has been carried out (and "quicker" is always one of the death penalty advocate's goals). The poor - usually blacks - can't always get effective representation at the initial trial and intercession later is uncertain and slow.

4) Even if it was effective and 100% accurate, it would still be wrong.
Reply to
DH

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida sprach forth the following:

Hopefully that's also the rule in the Iraqi houses your cretin kids are raiding.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

"Jeff Strickland" ..

What do you think of this?

I think whatever legal sentence one gets should be carried out, regardless of their personal problems, but this *does* seem rather pointless, even if you're all for the death penalty. If you want revenge, wouldn't it be better to let him last as long as possible with that terrible condition?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Aren't we a compassionate society that doesn't like to see people suffer? He's probably ready to go anyway. Despite his medical condition he still has a debt to pay to society for his horrible crimes and taking of someone else's innocent life.

Reply to
badgolferman

But keep in mind that I don't support the death penalty, so I say leave him be, and let his fate be settle in the afterlife.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

IN the meantime, a LIFE sentence should be exactly that, for LIFE until DEATH.

Reply to
sharx35

For many people, that is NOT a deterrent. To you and me, perhaps, but not for most.

Reply to
sharx35

"sharx35" ...

The types of scum who commit capital crimes have no regard for life - not even theirs. I'm not convinced it's a deterrent.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Perhaps not. However they will NEVER commit another crime. They aren't about, if their life was spared, discover a cure for cancer.

Reply to
sharx35

I can always use a nice bag of small rocks, for drainage in flower pots.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Send them out west and have Sheriff Joe take care of them....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

So says Mark, an obvious FRIEND of murderers.

Reply to
sharx35

I think you are wrong about THIS Mark.

Reply to
badgolferman

"Jeff Strickland"..

If we have to have the DP, I can definitely live with that scenario.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Jeff Strickland" ...

First of all, I despise camping, so that alone would be a deterrent for me. Secondly, even if you like camping, the AZ desert is not the place to do that...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Don't you like scorpions and sidewinder rattlesnakes? Loveable little critters to have sharing your sleeping bag with ya. :>)

Reply to
dbu,.

GAH!

When I was stationed at the now-defunct George AFB in Victorville, CA (where I met hubby, and where our son was born), we had to do war games called "Red Flag" in the open desert. They told us to put our boots in our sleeping bags, and zip all the way up to keep the Mojave Green snakes out (really fast-acting neurotoxins!) One girl got bitten, but she got treatment in time, thank God. At my second Red Flag, I was preggers, so I didn't have to do the hiking, and other strenuous activity, but they made me go anyway. LOL

See below; I'm the first one, leaning on the tent pole. Gawd, did that suck:

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®