{OT} nativity scene banned

Political correctness strikes again.

---------------------------------------

CHICAGO - A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.

badgolferman

If people could just be honest, we could see the end to this argument. It's got nothing to do with religion. Tell it like it is: Most of these decorations are tacky, like plastic flamingos, or having an old rusty car rotting on your front lawn.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What is happening to this world?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Did you read the article? Chicago doesn't want to "offend" non-Christians. It has everything to do with religion and secularism.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes. I've read it at least 500 times. The religious aspect is a red herring for the simple minded. The truth is that it's much more difficult to tell someone that their taste in decorations is hideous.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

HEY! Oh, wait...mine's rusting in my back yard...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Bubba? Is that yew? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So, let me get this straight. It is better for a city official to stomp on someone's religious sensibilities than their decorative abilities? You are so full of **it!

Reply to
badgolferman

It's easier. Haven't you ever watched that TV show where people redecorate each other's homes, and both parties are tasteless fools? I've only seen it

4-5 times, but in no instance did anyone say "You must be kidding, you asshole! What did you do to my living room???"
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd tell em if they don't fricken like our Christmas then they should get on their rugs and sail on back to where they came from.

Reply to
dbu'

Look, if certain groups of people don't like our traditions, then they don't have to look at them or partake in them. But they should not try to change them just to satisfy their selfish wants. They chose to live in this country (or, continent, as I am in Canada where similar things tend to happen these days) so they should accept what we have and let us enjoy it instead of trying to take over and change everything. I bet that their native countries would certainly not like it if we tried to change things.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I frankly don't care. I'm pretty good at not looking at things I don't want to see. I just wish some of these decorations didn't look like overstock toys at a dollar store.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Best thing I have heard yet: On the Today Show last week, for some reason the 'war' over Religion is flaring up again, and one person said it

*perfectly*: "The Constitution provides for Freedom *OF* Religion, not Freedom *FROM* Religion."
Reply to
Hachiroku

Nah...it ain't up on blocks.

*YET!*
Reply to
Hachiroku

I hope that the organizers tell officials to take a MASSIVE FLYING FUCK.

Reply to
sharx35

The ACLU has been trying to get us freedom FROM religion ever since 1925. Sorry Clarrence Darrow, but you are pretty much a founding member of the American Communist Liberation Union.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr