OT New warnings about entitlements shortfall

This is just yet another PR attempt by GW Bush to scrap traditional Social Security and replace it with a more expensive privatized system run by his friends. In reality Social Security is in good shape, and every past projection by the trustees has turned out to have been overly pessimistic, even the best-case projections.

Some people claim that privatizing Social Security will help the economy in the long run by increasing the nation's pool of capital, but that's unlikely, and what really matters is the ratio of working people to retired people. The US is actually in better shape than most developed nations in this regard, mostly thanks to immigrants, and illegal immigrants may help even more because so many of them contribute to SS and Medicare but never collect.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

One kind isn't enough?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

He's not allowed in 5-star restaurants.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

JoeSpareBedroom

Bush wanted to do something about it in his second term, the dimmies keep blocking it.

I think they are saving it for themselves so they can become the hero and say we the dimmies fixed SS so vote for us in the next election. Pretty bad when the dimmies play politics like that.

Reply to
dbu

So what is your solution?

Reply to
dbu

Killing the program is just what our president wants to do with it.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

When I was young, we had a pet rabbit and some pet guinea pigs that spent most of their time in the garden. The guinea pigs weren't too bad on the plants, but the rabbit ate away everything until my mother trained it to not eat anything high up on the plants. I think she did that by telling the rabbit to behave more like the guinea pigs. The cat and dog took care of any wild rabbits and hares.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

This from you the KING of insane ramblings? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Sure he is.

witfal

I was thinking maybe this was more his speed:

JoeSpareBedroom

Get real "privatize SS?" Allowing new entrants, into the SS pool of payers who woulod not collect for over 45 year, to voluntarily invest 2% of their half of the contribution was far from privatizing SS. LOL

The Dims appose personal investments because they can not tap your account and they do not want you to know how much money you would have accumulated, in you OWN account in 45 years of investing. They do not want you to discover what a bad deal SS has been for you and your offspring.

If an insurance agent wanted to sell you a policy that would never have any cash value, that you would pay into for over 45 years, that would pay you an average of less $1,000 a year for around ten years, and if you died in less than 45 year they would keep all the premiums that you paid, would you buy that policy?

Ask anybody that has an IRA if they believe investing their own money tax free is a BAD think. Any body that starts and IRA when they are in their twenties will have so much money by the time they retire they will not need SS checks to survive.

Reply to
Mike hunt

My oldest daughter "disappeared" in one of these in 1985 or so. She and I were waiting for the others so we could go home, but she seemed to vanish into thin air even though she was standing right in front of me. In my peripheral vision, I saw a man run out the front door. I panicked and ran out looking both ways, but saw nothing. A very, very long one minute later, we found her at one of the ball-throwing stations. Talk about tachypsychia.

A few years later, that location had a child abduction take place. IMO, predators love this kind of venue.

Reply to
witfal

Yeah. The confusion is perfect for kidnapping. The one here had a glassed in lounge area for parents. I never understood how some people could take their eyes off their kids for more than about 2 seconds in a place like that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Senator Santorum said there are ONLY three ways to sustain SS as it stands. Raise the tax rate, lower payouts and raise the retirement age. Doing all three in increatments over time is the answer. The feds have already risen the retirement age. The next thing to do is lower the amount of the payout INCREAESES build into the system. Everybody will get a larger check but not as large as is currently built into the system. Allowing people to chose invest a part of their portion of the contribution and agreeing to a reduction in their increased SS check is a viable option as well.

Reply to
Mike hunt

I wouldn't be surprised if that glass area was in response to abductions across the country.

Literally, 2 seconds is enough for your kid to run-off and bump into one of these pigs.

Reply to
witfal

Umm - how about forbidding Congress to siphon money out of SS (in any other context, known as stealing)? Or is that too obvious so it's not even going to be tried?

Bill Putney

There are NO separate SS funds. The so called "SS trust Funds" are merely bookkeeping legers. By law, even since SS was created, all SS funds are "invested" in US government bonds. It is those bonds, and the interest due on them, that will be coming due that the government will not be able to pay that is creating the shortfall in a few years

Reply to
Mike hunt

But the effect is the same - i.e., money that I put in won't be there? Like I said - in any other context that would be stealing.

Bill Putney