{OT}No Rationing If You Pull Up With A Hybrid

Summer's just a few months away and already fuel consumption is 2.4% above last year at this time. But don't fear if you have a hybrid. You can have as much as you need. That's certainly worth the "extra cost" of buying one.

Reply to
mark digital©

How about a motorcyle, my prefered method of summer transport?

Reply to
qslim

In the medical field, we call those "donorcycles"

Natalie, who remembers transferring a biker into the body bag with a

*shovel*
Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Well, someone's gotta keep the organ donor quotas up, I suppose. I never smoke and barely drink, so my parts will be ripe for pickin' if I get creamed by a bus.

Reply to
qslim

That's the spirit! :-P

That shovel-guy tried to cut off a semi. Note to anyone - you go up against a semi, the semi will probably lose...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

DOH - I mean win, obviously...

Natalie, after a long day

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Oh... I was enjoying the unexpectedly British-style irony of the humour. Briefly I toyed with a response like "absolutely -- the semi's owner gets saddled with a paintwork respray: much pricier than a quick trip to the scrapyard" but finally I decided not to rain on your parade. ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

"Andrew Stephenson"

LOL that would have been way funnier...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Yes but you cannot break the laws of physics. 1-40ton semi + 1 itty bitty motorcycle = roadkill pizza. I've been debating whether to get a bicycle or a scooter to do my 3 miles to work of a morning. Bicycling down a road that has a posted 45 mph speed limit, not really enforced at that time of day, on a tiny little bicycle seems like trying to break the laws of physics.

BTW, what are the laws of physics? Warm water and lots of soap?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I've been wondering if this "donorcycle" stuff is so bad.

Least the guy went out fast and with maybe a smile on his face -- except for the last five seconds of saying "Oh Shit!"

Can't say lying around in some bed for the last 10 years of your life would be any better. Would dealing with Depends diapers, exorbitant amounts of drugs and their side-effects, dementia, mini-strokes, long-term cancer, plastic-wrapped mattresses, paying $4500 a month assisted living (if you have the cash), dry-water, friends and family who ignore you because of your current state of affairs be any better than going out fast?

Quality of elderly life verses instant death? Dunno.... Maybe the cyclist knew better and enjoyed life fuller.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Hey, people go rock-climbing and skydiving all the time, so I guess that's no different. I personally think doing any of that stuff is nuts...

And as for geriatric problems, if you live right *now* you won't have those problems. My grandma just turned 89 this month, and her only medical problems are reflux and arthritis. She still has all her own teeth as well. She is the mother of seven children, and is as 'with it' now as ever.

Living well is the best reward.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

LOL I'm with ya, dood

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Well, there's: "Captain, ye canna discharge a phaser faster than a certain rate!" Followed soon after by: "Och, he didnae listen, sae noo he's deed (Jim)."

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I just got a new Suzuki DL650 and have ridden it whenever the roads were dry even in the Chicago area cold air. One time I didn't feel like putting on all the gear for a short trip and took the Matrix instead so left earlier than I would have if taking the bike. I promptly got rear ended while waiting at a stop light. I was doing "What if?" scenarios for days. I'm still riding whenever I can though.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

I take Scouts rock climbing and rappelling all the time. Done and supervised correctly, it is safe. The biggest danger is from a twisted ankle walking up or down the trail to get to the climbing area or from a heart attack from schlepping a 50 pound pack up 600 or 1,000 feet of vertical gain.

OTOH, when it come to skydiving, I agree with Clint Eastwood's character's remark in Heartbreak Ridge - "It ain't natural to jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

My grandmother turned 106 this week. She has been bedridden for the past 3 or 4 years but is otherwise healthy.

Reply to
Ray O

Depends on how high you climb...

:-)

And as an Asian person, she probably gets the respect she deserves, unlike the way we treat *our* elders.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Like I said - to each their own, but I don't feel the need to tempt fate LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

A man after my own heart - a Trekkie!

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Not that high, no more than 60 or 80 foot pitches. We don't take kids anyplace where the instructors aren't able to rescue someone in trouble. I suspect that the moms would be a little upset if we left someone hanging up in the hills.

You got that right!

Reply to
Ray O

Then you'll never know what you've missed.

Gotta tempt fate once in a while else life gets boring.

Sort of like buying one of those farkly "hybrids"...... ;o)

B~

Reply to
B. Peg