{OT} Ping: Hachiroku

Hachi,

You apparently use two different newsreaders. One is Pan and the other is the new Windows Mail I believe.

When you use Pan your name appears normally in the topic list and headers of the message.

Example: From: Hachiroku Subject: Re: alt.autos.toyota newsgroup statistics for 02/2008 Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:12:09 GMT User-Agent: Pan/0.14.2 (This is not a psychotic episode. It's a cleansing moment of clarity.) Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota

When you use the other newsreader I get this in my headers:

Example: From: =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?=

Subject: Re: OT Bush tells Nanci P to stick it!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:09:33 GMT Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota

Do you have any idea why this happens? Is this by design on your part or is it some setting in your newsreader? Your posts are the only ones I see with the weird characters on all the newsgroups I visit.

If you look at the statistics thread I posted earlier you'll see what your name shows up as in the message tree of my newsreader.

Reply to
badgolferman

I always use Pan. Pan was written for Linux, and then ported over to Windows.

When you see the correct Japanese characters, that's because Linux knows how to deal with characters other than those used just for English. When I log in using Windows, Windows can't handle anything alien and you get the ISO crap.

Maybe the Windows programmers need to take a few lessons from Linux programmers...

Reply to
Hachiroku

And back to Linux again!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Which shows perfectly in Unison for Mac OS X, which is a Unix operating system.

Reply to
witfal

Well then, it is the Linux one that is showing messed up for me.

Reply to
badgolferman

That's intreresting...

I'm using Unicode for the text/font coding. You must be using Western ISO, whichj is usually Windows, and witfal is using unicode.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Using Unicode (UTF-8) Character Set

I am using Tahoma font if that means anything to you.

Reply to
badgolferman

it appears that you are mistaken.

Reply to
catchme わか?

Figures.

Reply to
sharx35

And you're using Xana News. That should be able to handle Japanese Characters in Unicode.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not often. catchme ????

Reply to