OT: "The War" on PBS - Joe Medicine Crow

Last night, during the final 10 minutes of Part Five of this program, there was an interview with this man:

Joe Medicine Crow.

I found that segment to be one of the most interesting of the film, so far. What really struck me as interesting were the Four Requirements for a Crow War Chief:

  1. Touch a living enemy.
  2. Take an enemy's weapon.
  3. Steal an enemy's horse.
  4. Lead a victorious war party.

Joe Medicine Crow did all those things in a short period in 1944, while serving in France and so became the last War Chief of the Crow people.

If you have an opportunity to see this film, I highly recommend watching Part Five from 1:53 onwards (running time for the whole episode seemed to be about 2:10) to see Joe Medicine Crow's story.

Reply to
DH

After I saw an interview with Ken Burns a couple of weeks ago I cleared room on the Dish DVR and set it up to record the whole series. I am looking forward to watching it when I get the opportunity.

Reply to
Truckdude

More than halve of the people in this country today are not interested in the current fight to protect their freedom, what makes you believe they would be interested in a war we fought, for THEIR freedom, over sixty years ago? During WWII we lost more of our fighting men in a few days in most battles than have been lost since 9/11. It seems American today are not willing to fight for their freedom, the are more willing to fight over politics like it was a sport. How many of the current crop of Presidential candidates, members of Congress or anti war fanatics are veterans, for example? It a sad state of affairs.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Who's not interested in "the current fight to protect our freedom?" Everyone I know is *very* interested. Many of them just happen to believe, with good reason, that the President is going about it stupidly. When he's not actually infringing on our freedoms himself, of course.

What's your point? The terrorists don't have planes or tanks. It's a new kind of fight.

Let's see... Kerry was a combat vet. Unlike Dubya. Murtha. My Dad is an anti-war fanatic; he's a veteran and USNA graduate, with advanced degrees.

Of course, according to Rush Limpballs, any soldier who opposes the war isn't a "real" veteran, he's just a phony soldier. And people with tiny brains believe Rush.

Reply to
dh

Apparently there are enough people interested for the series to run for something like 8 days, 2 hours per episode.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm sure there are plenty of viewers but what make you believe many of them are from the kooky left anti-war crowd? Stations that are supported by tax revenue can run whatever they chose, no matter how many viewers it attracts. Commercial stations however do not run programs unless it can attract enough viewers to obtain sponsors. The kooky lefty whackos that were on Air America would probably still be on TV, if it had been a tax supported network. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How many episodes of "The War" have you watched so far?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I lived it, I guess one could say I read the "BOOK!!!" I saw most of them so far, in any event.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Oh. Then I wonder how you came up with such an unbelievably stupid conclusion about the nature of the audience. You constantly illustrate the fact that the stupidest people have no idea how stupid they are. I guess it's blissful, though.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom